Chapter Twelve: New Beginnings

The next year I was forced to watch over Draco Malfoy as his time came to kill Albus Dumbledore, the headmaster.

"Father," May groaned, looking at me, "You don't need to kill him. You don't need to listen to the Dark Lord."

"May, don't say that," I hissed as I heard footsteps. I knew who it was; it was Nicole.

"Professor!" Nicole bust in with Draco, her hand tightly clasping his. Didn't surprise me -- they had just started dating at the beginning of the year.

"Professor," Draco said as he approached, "the time is soon, isn't it? And that Katie Bell girl..."

May's eyes widened, "You're the one who did that to Katie?"

"I personally thought it was obvious," Nicole said, draping her arms around Draco. Draco simply gave a small smile and patted her hand.

"Well, I have...visited with Potter on the matter," I said, looking towards a window, "he seems to have figured it out."

"The killing will be tonight, correct?" Draco said. Nicole giggled -- her uncle and mother were Death Eaters.

May looked down. Out of all the things that have happened, she had not told Macmillan of what she was -- the daughter of a Death Eater.

Nicole frowned at her friend. "He will need to figure it out soon enough, May."

May gave me a sideways glance, "Once this stupid war spreads, I am leaving England for somewhere the Dark Lord will not touch me like he tried to touch my mother."

~~

MAY BETH'S P.O.V.

I hated the Dark Lord. I hated my father. I hated Nicole. I hated Draco. I hated Hogwarts. I hated everything except my mother and Ernie.

I held myself as the train left Hogwarts for the last time. Albus Dumbledore was dead and it was my father's fault. Draco was stalling for him as my father ran up the stairs and killed Albums Dumbledore. I hadn't even attended the funeral.

I personally did not know much of Dumbledore, yet he seemed like the grandfather I never had. I wanted to meet him just then, but I didn't.

I felt somebody grab my hand. I look up to see it be Ernie, his dark eyes staring into mine. We leaned in and kissed by habit and pulled away, looking at the empty seats ahead of us.

"...Look," Ernie said, squeezing my hand, "Nicole told me who you are, and I know you aren't going to be like your father."

I looked at him sadly, "How do you know that?"

Ernie simply smiled.

"Because every person has their own new beginning."