Chapter 1: The Letter

3 years later
Maxon's POV~
" I... choose... Kriss." Those three words ruined my life. In 30 seconds, I let go of the love of my life, my light in the darkness. I replay that day in my head everyday. I sigh. I lost my America.

We write letters to each other often when we need to let things off our chests. It takes every ounce of me not to confess my love for her. I can't because I'm married and if Kriss finds out it'll be hell and America has a boyfriend. Ryan. I despise him so much for sweeping America off her feet.

Oh how I miss her fiery red hair and her piercing blue eyes. I pull out my photo of her from my office desk drawer. I quickly put it away as Satan's little spawn, Kriss, comes through the door. "I'm planning a ball and I wanted to ask if we could invite the selected back to the castle." She says. "Of course, as long as all of the ladies are invited" I said trying to not let my happiness show.

I might get to see my America! Kriss continues to blab on and on about the ball, but I don't listen to any of it. My mind's filled with the thoughts of America. Kriss gets quite irritating, she never does any queenly duties. She's always planning some sort of party or ball. After she exits, I write a letter to America.

'My dear America,
You've been invited back to the palace for a ball celebrating three years since the selection. I would also like you to sing a few songs if all possible. And maybe a duet with me? I hope to see you!
Tugging my ear,
Maxon
P.S.~ there will be strawberry tarts'