Chapter 9: Let someone go

America's POV
Two Days Later
I couldn't sleep that night. I only thought about him. I knew I had to choose myself. But deep down there still was something love? lust? I don't know what it was, but whatever was still there. It was haunting me.

It was almost 7:30 in the morning and my maids were getting me ready for breakfast. I was going to ask for it upstairs but then I thought "we are gonna be a big girl today". I made my way towards the great room when I got in there, the selected were seating as well as the royal family.

I noticed throughout breakfast Maxon would tug his ear, but I didn't have it in me to return the gesture. I just needed to leave I thought to myself. After breakfast I made sure my bags were all packed up and ready to go then I made my way to the garden for one last time.

As I walked down the cobblestone path, I heard someone coming behind me because of the crunching of the leaves beneath their shoes. I turned around to see a very distraught King Maxon. "Your Majesty" I said as I curtsied. "America, stop. Can I please talk to you about something important? I know you said to leave you alone but I can't" he said with tears forming in his eyes. "We can talk but make it quick" I said not wanting to stay here any longer.

"America, Last night I found out that Kriss was cheating on me. She's been in the dungeon all night with her other man. Soon I will be free from her but until then, we can be together. Just like we've always wanted." Maxon said holding my hands. "Maxon, I'm leaving today and I can't come back. I just can't do it. Me being here this week proved to me that I can't do this. I'm better off doing what I love doing. I love performing for thousands of people every night. I won't be happy here, that's why I can't stay" I said with tears spiraling out of my eyes.

"What if I never forget you? Because I know I can't, I tried when I got married. I tried to forget you but I couldn't. You were always on my mind. What if when I meet someone new, I can never fall in love with them because they aren't you?" He said also crying.
"Maxon, fall in love with someone who waits for you, who understands you in the madness, who helps and guides you, someone who is your support and hope. Don't fall in love with a body or a face and don't fall in love with the idea of being in love. Fall in love with someone who doesn't make you cry." I told him.
He took me by the face and said "I can't lose you, but if you really want this to happen then I suppose I have to let go of something I love"
And we kissed each other and promised we'd never hurt someone as much as we hurt each other.