Chapter 7: Choosing Me

America's POV ~
I had to get away from him. I had to get away from the ball. I found myself along the cobblestone path of the gardens. I was crying. I knew he was married and I shouldn't have kissed him back. If someone saw us in that room, I could be killed and so could he.

How could I be so stupid to fall back? I vowed to myself years ago that I wouldn't fall back in love again and yet here I am. I have to get away from this cage. All I have is 2 days left. 2 days, I can stay away from him for 2 days. As I make my way through the garden I hear someone yelling my name. "AMERICA" I know that voice. "AMERICA" the voice calls again. Then I know he's right behind me.

The man grabs me by the wrists and spins me around to face him. It's him. It's Maxon "America I know I messed up again completely. And I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have kissed you, I don't know what came over me" " Maxon, don't be apologizing. I should be. I knew you were married and I shouldn't have kissed you back. I'm just a two who is constantly in drama and I don't want to be your mistress. I can't do that to Kriss" I said.

"America, you won't be my mistress. I can't do that to you knowing the consequences of an affair." He said. "I'll be out of your hair in two days, but when I get home I don't want to write letters anymore because the more I write you, the more I fall back. I need to be left alone for a while." I say to him and then I walk away. I know that I probably hurt his feelings again. But I can't go back to him. It'll break me again. I can't choose him. I have to choose me.