Chapter 3: The Bench

Maxon's POV~
I'm bouncing on the balls of my feet awaiting the arrival of America. Almost everyone is here, just then I see America come in wearing a beautiful lilac purple day dress that fits her perfectly. Since there are five hours until the ball, the ladies have enough time to get ready. This morning I went to America's room from the selection with a note that said " once you read this, meet me at our bench".

I look out the window of my office and see America walking on the cobblestone path to our bench. I quickly make my way down the stairs and out the doors. " Hello my dear" "I'm not your dear but hello" she said with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. By the look on her face, I could tell something was wrong. "What's wrong?" I say with genuine worry. "I'm fine, it's just going to rain" she says looking down fidgeting with her hands.

I look up at the sky. I remember those times we danced in the rain. "Those days were fun weren't they. I can't remember the last time I danced in the rain" she said "how's the married life with Kriss?" She asks trying to change the subject. When she said her name she cringed, which made me chuckle a little. "It's not great, she doesn't do any of her queenly work which means that I have to do it. And she's never in our room or her room at night. I'm really convinced that she's cheating on me" I said spilling the honest truth of how I felt.