Jake

"I'm not quite sure what it is, but something isn't right with her." Jake said to his girlfriend, Daisy.

"Well, have you asked her if everything is ok?"

Daisy knew how close Jake and May were from the start of them talking. Daisy walked into the diner during one of her lunch breaks a few weeks back and when her eyes fell on Jake, her breath was taken away. Jake's tall and slender with hazel eyes and dark hair. She was completely smitten before he had even approached her for her order. By the end of her lunch break, she had written down her number and slid it over to him. To her surprise, he called that same night after he closed the diner and walked May to her apartment.

"I have. She keeps brushing it off by saying she's just tired and needs a change." He answered.

"Well, I'm not sure, babe. If you two are as close as you say, give her time. She will eventually open up when she's ready." After their phone call ended, Jake ended the call and set his phone on his dresser.

He began removing his clothing to shower and turn in for the night. Just as he was turning the water on, he heard his phone ringing again. Turning the water off and quickly jogging to his phone, he found May's face on the screen.

"Hey, May, what's up?" he answered.

"Jake, I'm sorry about brushing you off tonight. It's just that I don't trust very easily."

"I know this. Is everything ok?" he asked concerned about the tone of her voice.

"No. Can we meet and talk? I don't talk about this over the phone."

His brow furrowed in confusion and worry. May had never seemed like she was one to be paranoid about phone calls.

"Uh, yeah, sure. Let's meet back at the diner." he suggested.

"No. Somewhere we've never gone. Somewhere private."

Jake was beginning to get anxious. They can't talk at the diner and has to be somewhere they've never been. What was she hiding?

"I'll come to you; we'll take my car." Jake said hanging up and grabbing a clean shirt.

By the time he pulled up to May's apartment she was on her way out, looking around as if she was looking for someone.

"Hey, kiddo." he said as she got in and buckled her seatbelt.

"Hey." she replied dryly.

Jake put the car in drive and drove off.

"So, where would you like to go?" he asked not sure where she would feel comfortable enough to talk.

"Can we just drive?" she asked looking out of her passenger window.

"Sure, but you have to tell me what's going on. Why are you acting so strange lately?"

Just then, May grabbed his phone and took the battery out. She took her phone out of her pocket and took her battery out.

Jake was now worried more than ever. "What on earth, May?"

"Jake, do you remember when I first came here?" she asked.

"Yes. You were quite desperate for a job and I was desperate for help."

"Yes, but do you remember anything else?" she asked looking at him intently.

Jake thought for a moment but came up with nothing.

"I'm not sure what you're asking?"

"I've been in hiding for two years." May finally let out.