Memory Lane

When Jake walked through his front door, he heard laughter. Confused, he walked through the living room into the game room, where he finds May and his roommate Wade sitting across from one another talking and laughing.

"May, I see you met my roommate." Jake smiled looking from May to Wade.

"Dude, you didn't tell me your best friend was Shaggy Maggie!" Wade exclaimed.

"How many times have I told you not to call me that!?" May yelled at Wade while laughing.

Jake watched the two interact for a few seconds and asked, "I take it you two know one another?"

"Yes, we grew up together." May replied.

"You're from Alabama?" Jake asked looking at May.

"Yes. Chesterton, Alabama. Population 76. Most were Retirees."

"There weren't very many kids in Chesterton so we all knew each other." Wade stated.

"Yeah but not everyone liked everyone." May added looking at Wade. "Some even tormented other kids."

"I did not torment you." Wade replied defensively.

May raised her eyebrows as she spoke.

"Shaggy Maggie isn't tormenting me?!" Her voice an octave higher.

"Hey now, I wasn't the only one to call you that."

Shaking her head and rolling her eyes, May said, "No, but you were the one who started it."

Jake sat down in a gaming chair between the two and said,

"Am I gonna have to split you two up?"

Wade laughed as May shook her head.

"May, why exactly were you called Shaggy Maggie?" Jake asked.

"My hair was extremely curly when I was little. It was impossible to keep it tamed and if it wasn't pulled up into a ponytail, it was sticking out all over the place." she rolled her eyes.

Jake pictured the image for a moment and chuckled. Wade sat forward in his seat and asked Jake why he didn't come in with May.

"I was still in her apartment." Jake answered.

Wade was now the one to raise his eyebrows, thoroughly confused. "So, you were both at her apartment and she took your car, left you there, and came to your house?"

"No, well yes, but no." Jake said looked to May for permission to explain.

"He was protecting me. That is why I am staying here for a while." May explained.

Wade's brow furrowed. "Protecting you from what?"

"I have a stalker. A dangerous psycho stalker."

Wade's eyebrows shot up as he looked between May and Jake in question.

May explained the entire story and situation to him from the beginning to the current situation.

"Wait, so who did you contact back home?" Wade asked.

"Lucas." May answered.

Wade's muscles seemed to tense up at the mention of Lucas' name.

"What?" May asked.

"Nothing. I'm just not fond of Lucas. You know this."

"Still? I thought you two were good now?" May asked.

"We were civil. Never good." Wade replied.

Jake stood up and stretched. "Alright, May, I need to get to bed. Let me show you where the spare bedroom is. I'll grab you a few of my shirts and sweat pants to sleep in. Tomorrow we can head back to your place for some of your clothes."