My Little Flower

The following morning May woke up to the smell of coffee and bacon filling the house. She was curled up in the comforter in the spare room of Jake's house. Sighing, she rolled over and sat up, scooting to the edge of the bed. Placing her bare feet on the carpet and feeling the fluffy shag between her toes made her grin. She made her way past the guys' rooms and down into the kitchen where she found Wade cooking. Without a word, she walked straight for the coffee cups, poured herself a mug, cupping her hands around the mug and allowing the aroma to fill her nostrils.

"Good morning, sleepyhead." Wade smiled a smile that seemed to make his bright blue eyes dance.

"Mornin'. I haven't slept like that in a long time." she replied sitting at the kitchen table sipping her coffee.

"I'm sure since you don't feel safe in your own home. I'll have eggs done shortly if you'd like some bacon and eggs. Still like those things you call dunky eggs?"

May chuckled as she nodded yes.

"You remember that?"

"Sure, why wouldn't I? Your mother is the one who taught me how to cook them."

She smiled at the memory of her mom standing with Wade in front of the stove. They were all of 10 years old, maybe? Wade was left at May's house while his parents were out of town for the weekend. They traveled often, for a reason she was still unsure of. Her mother always told her it was for their job. Both of their parents being best friends, Wade was always at her house.

"I'm going to grab a shower before I eat, is there time?" she asked gulping down the rest of her coffee.

"Yes, and after you eat, I'll run you to your apartment. We can pick up anything you might need."

May nodded and smiled as she turned to walk up to her room.

***

"Do you want me to go in first and look around?" Wade asked as they pulled up in front of her apartment building.

"That's not necessary. Things need to look normal and the only one who was ever in my apartment was Jake."

Wade's brows raised in suspicion.

"Are you sure nothing ever happened between you two?"

"Excuse me? Where did that come from?"

"I've asked Jake before; he's always said you were just a very close friend but with how he had been with you all the time a few months back... I was beginning to wonder."

"You've got to be kidding me. Are you 12?!" She asked, clearly annoyed.

"Sorry, Mags. Before I knew it was you, I honestly thought he just didn't want me knowing he was seeing someone."

"Well, he is seeing someone, he's seeing Daisy. And what business is it of yours who Jake dates anyway? You were always so nosy. I guess some things never change." she rolled her eyes as she reached for the door handle.

May got out of the truck making her way to the front door. She unlocked the door, opening it as she normally would but more alert and aware of her surroundings. Trying not to make it obvious, she scanned the living room as she closed the door behind her, walking through her living room and up the stairs, she made her way to her bedroom. She grabbed her work clothes and tossed them on her bed. She opened her dresser drawer and grabbed her workout clothing and tossed those on the bed next to the others.

Walking out of the bedroom to her spare room, she hurried and threw clothes from the closet in one side of a travel bag and zipped it up, careful to smooth it out to make it look as if nothing was in it. Carrying the bag back to her bedroom she grabbed her clothes off of the bed and tossed them into the opened side of the bag. She then walked to her bathroom and quickly tossed in her toothbrush, toothpaste, and shower things. She zipped up the side compartment and walked out carrying her hairbrush and deodorant to make it look as if that's what she went in there for. Tossing those into her bag, finally, she reached under her bed for her running shoes. Zipping up the duffle bag, she tossed the strap over her shoulder and made her way out of her room. She descended the stairs, walked through the living room, and stopped in front of the front door when her home phone rang.

She set her things down and walked over to her table and answered the phone. "Hello?" Silence.

"Hello?"

She listened closely and could hear breathing on the other end. She knew exactly who it was and the thought of him sitting there watching her right now made her skin crawl. She hung up the phone and picked her things back up and started back towards the front door when someone knocked. Assuming it was Wade, she hurried through the living room and opened it. At the sight of the person standing before her, she dropped her bag and turned to run. Anthony grabbed her arm, yanking her to him, and pushed her against the wall. She screamed and he shoved his hand violently over her mouth.

"Did you honestly think I wasn't going to find you?"

May squirmed against the hold he had on her but that only made him push her harder against the wall.

"Don't fight it, just come back to me, my little flower." Anthony sneered with a twisted smile.

She kneed him as hard as she could forcing him to break his hold on her and double over. Free from his grasp, she grabbed her bag and ran out of the door and down the street where Wade was parked waiting. As she opened the truck door Wade could see the panic in her eyes.

"Go! He's here. Go!" She screamed.

Wade slammed his foot against the gas pedal and the truck tires squealed as he sped past her apartment. She looked out the passenger window and saw Anthony standing there with an evil grin on his face, just watching as they flew by. She sat back hard in the seat and began crying. Wade reached over and squeezed May's knee.

"I got you. I'm taking things into my hands now." he said as he was pulling into Jake's Diner.

The two of them ran into the back door frantically looking for Jake but what Wade would say next is something Jake nor May would have ever expected.