May

As she cleared off another table, wiping it down; May looked out of the window in front of her. It was late, the streets were nearly cleared of any type of movement except for the occasional passing car.

This can't be it. There has to be more to life than this, right? She thought to herself.

May Young, a middle-aged woman, worked at a small diner as a waitress, hostess, and sometimes cook whenever Jake took an evening off. She placed paper placemats and napkin-wrapped silverware down on the last table and reached behind her waist to untie her apron.

"I'm heading out, Jake." She called back towards the kitchen.

Before she could get the apron up over her head the double doors leading to the kitchen were swung open. Jake, the owner of the diner emerged balancing a stack of plates and bowls in each hand.

"Not alone you don't. Let me lock up and I'll walk you home."

Jake placed dishes on the back shelves. The diner was set up as a '50's style dining experience with classic milkshakes and all. A long bar stretched across the length of the back wall separating the dining area from the kitchen. Round stools with red cushions were bolted to the floor in front of it. A small space behind the bar allowed for servers to wait on its customers, cash customers out with the register sitting at the end of the bar, and grab dishes off the shelves lining the back wall. Smaller tables were scattered in the open space in the middle of the restaurant while booths lined each of the walls, red cushions on each of the seats.

"I can handle walking two blocks by myself." May argued as she slid her arms into her jacket. Although she knew she wasn't going to win, she still insisted.

She patted her right pocket against her side for reassurance where her small handgun was safely tucked inside.

Jake ignored her as he fished his key out of the pocket of his jeans while walking to the door with her.

"You know I'm not letting you walk home alone this late." He finally said as his keys slid the deadbolt into place, locking the entrance to the diner.

May smiled, nodding as she slid her hands into the pockets of her jacket. Knowing from past arguments, this was a battle she'd never win.

As they rounded the corner to her street Jake was rambling on about the girl he had been talking to for the last few weeks. May happily listened but slowly began losing herself in her own thoughts. It's been two years since she ran away and went into hiding. Two years of living in fear and constantly looking over her shoulder. Two years. She was sick of it.

"May, have you heard a single word I've said?" Jake tugged on her arm pulling her back to reality as they climbed the steps leading to her front door.

"Oh, yeah, I heard. She sounds like a very nice girl." She replied.

"Fess up. What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?" He softly tapped his finger against her forehead.

May let out a small laugh and stepped to the side, taking her apartment key out of her pocket. "It's nothing. I'm just tired." She lied, focusing on the key a little too much.

"We both know that's a lie but I won't push. You know my number if you want to talk tonight or any other time." He reached out to pull her in for a hug.

Jake had been May's saving grace since she moved to the city. Her first day in Rockwell she found the local paper and Jake's Diner. She decided to go in for a cup of coffee and look through the classifieds in hopes of finding a job. Little did she know, walking into the little quaint diner that day would not only land her a job but also give her one of her best friends.

"I just need something different. Something other than the city lights, car horns, people yelling in the streets. I need a break from life." She sighed, opening her door.

A break from constantly watching my back. A break from being afraid of turning every corner and running into him...

"I see. Well, let's see what we can come up with tomorrow. I'll see you in the morning, kiddo." He smiled as he turned and walked down the steps, heading back towards the diner to get his car.

May knew she would have to tell Jake at some point. It would be hard explaining why she needed time away and not tell anyone where she was going. She would have to tell him about her past, about why she was hiding from her old life; but could she trust him?