Keeping A Watchful Eye

Samuele

"And you wouldn't believe what this girl pulled out..." Rod says leaning over the small coffee table.

Samuele's eyes drift past his head and outside the window. His mind couldn't help but feel numb and shocked from yesterday's surprise.

"...tried to STICK IT IN!" Rod exclaimed with a disgusted face.

Samuele finally focused on the absurd conversation with Rod and frowned.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"You weren't listening?" Rod asked in disbelief as if he had just told the story of 9/11.

"Do I ever listen to your nasty stories?" Samuele jokes, raising his eyebrow and smirking.

Rod chuckles and sits back in his seat, "Well look at you giving me a sliver of a smile. I missed it."

"What do you mean? I always smile." Samuele says looking away and taking a sip of his coffee knowing for fact that he hasn't truly smiled in a very long time.

"Man cmon, you want me to be honest? I don't know what's going on with you but recently you've been changing. Unhappier, you don't smile, you are all work and no play, and you drink coffee."

"What's wrong with coffee?"

"You hate it! You never drank coffee before your dad roped you into his mobster bullshit."

"Hey. Watch it, Rod. You know it's the family business, I have to respect and honor that."

"Sam, for god sakes you are 19. Isn't it bad enough he made you miss your senior year of high school and now he has you killing for him. At least my dad did me a favor and left. Now I am raised in a good home with a good mother."

"Yea, well, I don't have a mom." It left Samuele's mouth so quickly that he couldn't stop it. Rod was taken aback, a guilty look spreading across his face.

"I'm sorry man, I went too far."

"Don't you always?" Samuele says smiling. He knew Rod didn't mean it and he knew how right he was about everything. 

"You could always go back to school. It's not too late, you were a real math geek."

"Shut up. Don't mention that ever."  Samuele says with a laugh.

"Why? You could get a lot of places with that brain of yours."

"Here are your checks." The waitress's voice says breaking them out of their comfortable conversation.

The cute girl with the name tag that says, Stacy, smiles and slips each of them a check book. Before walking away she winks at Samuele and returns to the front. He opens the check book and sees her first and last name with her number on it. His eyes roll and he flicks the paper at Rod.

"Woah, woah, woah, you don't want it?" He asks in disbelief.

"Nope."

"She is totally your type though."

"I don't have a type."