17

The sun didn't greet them. The sky wasn't bright blue. The water didn't run properly when Yena was the first to step into the shower.

But morning was so beautiful to see: the sun was covered by clouds, and the sky was gentle Russian blue. Outside the windows that let light in, they could see heavy curtains of falling snowflakes, and almost a foot of snow on the ground. And in the attic it was cold, the windows (thankfully, closed) covered with thick snow.

They had no need to use the fans now. They just opened up the windows and let the cold air in.

Chaeyeon and Eunbi were preparing breakfast, chopping up store-bought blood sausage and spring onions to make soup.

Wonyoung stood in the doorway of the kitchen, dressed in a large pink hoodie, sweatpants, and earmuffs.

"Can we go out and play in it?" she asked in a voice pitched an octave higher, hands clasped together. Yuri, Chaewon, and almost everyone else stood behind her.

Chaeyeon nodded. They cheered and stampeded out of the door.

Yuri, Yena, Yujin, and Minju went to bring the pigs and chickens back into the roofs of their homes before coming back out and jumping face first into the snow.

Nako lay down and waved her arms and legs to make a snow angel. She stood up and looked down on it.

"That does not look like anything I've read from a storybook," Nako grumbled, compacting snow into a ball in her gloved hands. She scuffed the snow angel and ran at Yujin.

"Ahn Yujin! Take this!" she shrieked, tossing it at the taller girl. It hit her stomach.

"You'll get it now," Yujin said cheekily, gathering snow in her palms. Seconds later, a bigger ball hit Nako square in the forehead.

"Snowball fight!" Hitomi screamed.

Yena and Chaewon joined in to throw the smallest body, Nako, into a snow pit they dug. Hyewon and Minju sat down in a side and made tiny snowmen.

(Hyewon tasted some snow.)

Yujin and Wonyoung promised to make a giant snowman before spring came. They rolled up great chunks of hard snow and powdered them with falling snowflakes... and threw them at each other.

Sakura lay down with Yuri in the snow, rolling in it.

"I want winter to last forever," Sakura said to herself, smashing her face into a pile of snow.

...

Chaeyeon made everyone change into clothes warm and fresh from the cupboard before eating.

Sakura slipped back into her blue sweater from the previous night and bit heartily into a fat leg of chicken. Wonyoung and Yujin ate greedily, savouring the blood sausage and slurping the broth.

The table was quiet, to say the least.

After they ate, Hyewon and Sakura put away the dishes before they all went out to play some more.

Sakura thought it'd be nice to kiss Chaeyeon under falling snowflakes if they couldn't be under a cherry blossom tree. Because cliché as Yujin was, it seemed nice.

So she did, with them laughing and hooting and snapping pictures. Chaeyeon tackled Minju later.

Yujin and Wonyoung did end up making a large 'snowman', which was actually just a tall tower of hard snow with no shape and twigs and buttons for eyes and arms.

Hyewon took off her scarf and wrapped it around where the snowman's neck should be.

They took pictures of Saengnun as Wonyoung named it, 'fresh snow'. Yuri offered her beanie to Saengnun.