1: Say It Aint So

"They always said when one door closes another opens, well shit my keys must be broken"

(Jru Anderson)

The anguish could be felt throughout the room, the despair could be seen upon her face however no sounds emitted from her, instead there was chaos erupting within her.

At only twenty-four, Jru Anderson never thought she'd hit rock bottom, especially at a time like this. Growing up in a home with doting, amazing parents and equally amazing siblings, I was spoiled and well taken care of to say the least but things changed, as they always do.

When I  became pregnant at the age of 21 my life came crumbling down. My parents left me to fend for myself and my child,  Aria's father became another number added to the prison list and I was assed out. I tried my best to make things work but for the past three years, I've  been knocked on my ass not once, not twice but multiple times and I was completely fed up. All I wanted was to be able to provide for myself and for my child but life seemed to have different plans in mind for me. Life, something that could be so cruel to some and so amazing to others, was fucking me royally at the moment and I had no idea how I was going to get myself out of it.

"Mommy," Jru heard, making her lift her head from the palms of her hands.

"Yes baby," I answered Aria, my three year old daughter.

"Can I go to Mimi and Papa's house please," she pleaded, adding her infamous pout that almost anyone would fall for, anyone except her mother?

It's been almost two weeks since I've spoke to my parents, all off of another disagreement but no matter how I was feeling towards them I would never restrict my daughter from being in their presence.

Taking out my phone from my pocket, I unlocked it and called up my dad before passing it to Aria.

The phone only rang once before her Dad, Javier, answered.

"Hello my beautiful princess," he greeted Aria once her face came into view.

"Hi Papa! Can I come over," Aria rushed out?

"Of course you can. I'm actually in the area so tell your mom to get you ready. I'll be there soon."

Aria squealed and hung up without responding. In her excitement, she ran off with my phone into her room as I just watched with a small smile on my face. No matter what I was going through, I could always count on Aria to bring me happiness.

The smile stayed until I remembered that I'd soon have to face my father and after our last meeting, it wasn't on the top of my list of things I had to do. It wasn't even an issue that I had with him but rather my mother.

Moments later, knocking at my door made me come to the realization that I had sat on the couch in a daze for almost fifteen minutes. Knocking could be heard throughout the apartment once again making me hop up and head to the door.

"Is that my papa," Aria called out from her room?

"I'm not sure baby. Let me check," I responded.

Looking through the peephole, I spotted my father looking as fresh as always. For a fifty year old man, he took very good care of himself and it was clear as day.

(Javier Anderson)

(Javier Anderson)

Inhaling deeply, I counted to three before opening the door and stepping aside.

"Good afternoon my love," my dad greeted as he placed a kiss atop my head.

"Hey," I spoke softly.

"Papa," Aria came speeding into the living room before throwing herself into her grandfather's arms!

Lifting her up easily, my father spun her around and smothered her in kisses before placing her back on her feet.

"Are you all packed and ready to go," my dad questioned?

"Almost ready," Aria ran back into her room as quick as she came.

Feeling the tenseness in the room, or maybe it was just me, I made my way into my kitchen to grab a bottle of water.

"So how's everything going," my dad began?

Shrugging half-heartedly, "It's okay I suppose."

"Have you given any thought into my suggestions?"

"Dad I'm not moving back in with you guys alright? People get laid off all the time. I just need to find something else."

"Alright but what about your bills? I have no problem helping you out."

Scoffing, I shook my head, "You may not but your wife surely does and I'm not going to be the one to drive a wedge between you too."

"If you think I'ma let you struggle meanwhile I'm living comfortably, you trippin. I get you want to provide for yourself but in the meantime I got your house covered and I'm not taking no for an answer. It ain't just about you Jru, it's about Aria too. She needs a place to lay her head and food in her belly so take this check and do as you please. I wouldn't be the man I strived so hard to be if I left you in the position to suffer," my dad stated leaving me silenced.

After placing the check on my kitchen counter, he called out to Aria before saying his goodbyes.

I knew that I could always count on my father to help me but expecting him to dig me out of my bullshit every time was going to be my downfall and I knew it. I needed to figure out a way to get my shit together and get it together fast.

/

Something new.. hope you all enjoy.