Salted Caramel Garri flakes

"I'm sorry" Mark said as soon as Sugar opened the door.

"It's fine,  Mark. You've been apologizing for days. "Sugar said holding the door open for Mark to get in.

"What are you doing? Do you not wear your leg at home?" Mark asked. He had only just noticed that Sugar was walking with crutches. She was wearing shorts so Mark could see where her leg tapered off, just above where the knee would have been.
Mark struggled to tear his gaze away from the leg.

Sugar pointed to a chair in the tiny living area.
"You can sit or you can come with me to the kitchen. But it's nothing fancy. I'm just making salted caramel garri flakes.

"What?" Mark asked. "Garri?" he sounded like he did believe her.

Sugar nodded hopping her way into the door that led tonher tiny, tiny kitchen.
"Garri"

"How?" Mark asked confused.

"You're here for the doughnuts right?" Sugar asked ignoring his previous question, "They're in the fridge" she said pointing to the single door fridge behind Mark.

"Oh. " Mark hummed moving out of the way. He wordlessly watched as Sugar placed her crutch by the side, packed up the doughnuts and tied them with a red ribbon.
Four cases of nine doughnuts each.  She used clear boxes. No logos, no inscriptions. Just plain white and transparent boxes.

"Have you thought about branding yourself?" Mark asked her unsuccessfully ignoring the smell wafting out from her oven. The smell that made his mouth water, that rendered his sweet tooth very, very valid.

"Money" Was Sugar's only reply. Like that that itself was an explanation on its own.
Mark nodded. Half expecting that to be the end of that discussion.
But Sugar opened her mouth again.
"Well I guess now that my leg is paid for, I can use my savings for something else now."

"You were saving for a new leg? For how long"

Sugar nodded, "2 years plus. It's not a lot though"

"That's good though. I barely have any savings myself" Mark said

"Well you're a rich guy." Sugar said winking. "I don't have such privilege"

"M'Sorry" Mark murmured. He did feel bad for making Sugar feel like she was less than he was.

Sugar smiled, opening up the oven and pulling out a tray of something Mark did not understand.
"You don't have to apologize. You're rich, I'm not...  Neither of us chose our families. You don't have to be sorry about that. Besides...  I'm way better than people thought I would be."

"What is that? "Mark asked

"I see you looking at my hands hold on" Sugar teased. Getting a spoon and scraping off the toasted mixture from the bottom of the baking tray. She got a tiny bowl from the rack placed a tiny shard of ice in the bowl and then scooped up the ooegy goodness into the bowl.
She handed the bowl and another spoon to Mark.
"Try it" She said.

"You've still not told me what it is" Mark said

"Taste it don't be scared" Sugar said, "I wouldn't poison you"

Mark put a spoonful in his mouth.
"Oh God!" he exclaimed slowly dropping the spoon.

"It's Garri" Sugar said.

Mark chewed. His mouth was still full.  He nodded.
"Chile....  Garri that has gone to school..."

He covered his mouth with his palm.

"It has masters"  Mark continued.

"This garri has gone abroad" he said again

"Thank you Mark" Sugar said chuckling