#5 - Day Five and a Fearful Intelligence

"God, look at that, it's the human-obsessor."

"Ha, I bet he just wants her because she acts like his ex wife."

"Apparently he's taking it to the king. He wants her to live among us."

"That's ridiculous; she must've poisoned his brain or something."

"I heard it's because she let him drink her blood."

"I wouldn't be surprised."

These were just a few of the ridiculous statements Nyais had to hear as he made his way to the core of the castle; the King's Quarters. Though Nyais was an elite, and a higher-up at that - one of the kingdom's strongest vampires - much of his respect had been clouded by people's suspicions over his attachment to [Y/n].  And some other stuff, but that was long ago.

"Is it true she calls you by your name?" Rayne, a doctor and 'human biologist' (or so he was deemed) asked Nyais impatiently, grabbing his superior's arm to keep him from walking away. "I wonder what her brain is like... surely she must be unique for you of all people to connect with her.  And around children no less," he said, a particular mocking nuance to his voice. Nyais' cool violet eyes grew dark in response to the young vampire's statement.

"Her brain is the same as any other human's, I assure you. She simply responds better," he brushed Rayne off his arm and continued walking.

"You should let me meet her.  I'd love to run some tests... psychological, of course," he added with a wry smile. Nyais knew what Rayne's 'tests' usually involved. Physical tests featured torture, trying to understand a human's limits before death. Psychological meant mental torture; white torture, Chinese water torture, the list goes on.

"No," Nyais responded bluntly.

"How will you protect her?" Rayne asked suddenly as his voice quietened a little, a small smirk on his lips.

"What do you mean by that?" Nyais barked back, eyes narrowed.

"Well, you're obviously going to the king right now. We all know you want her to live past the 21 days," Rayne hummed, "so how will you protect her? Humans have very short life spans, so you could theoretically keep her as a pet and replace her when she dies," he observed, "but I don't think that's your point."

"Please do me the favour of shutting the fuck up," Nyais growled coldly.

"So hostile!" Rayne commented, placing his hand to his heart as though he'd been wounded. "So unfair!" he added. "'It's mere observation, my friend. She reminds you of Leya, does she not?" Nyais went silent. "You wish to wed her, do you not?" Silence still. "Well, if her life span is that pathetic, you'll just be reliving what happened to your past love."

"Do you think I don't know this?" Nyais said coldly, his pace quickening a little in hopes Rayne would simply stop following him. The raven haired male did not do so, however.

"I have a solution to your problem~" Rayne sang excitedly. "After gathering a few humans for my research, I found a way that keeps them alive forever without turning them to vampires."

There was a couple moments of silence before suddenly Nyais' hand reached around Rayne's neck, holding the male against the wall.

"Tell me," Nyais snarled out, "tell me now."

"I'll tell you if you let me meet her," Rayne choked out, though was seemingly unbothered by Nyais' violence.  "Just for a hour - that's all I want with her. It's not long enough to hurt her mentally in any way and I promise not to touch her too much," he giggled slightly. The laugh - his words - unsettled Nyais; hell, everything about Rayne unsettled Nyais, but if it gave [Y/n] a shot at living forever... he couldn't say no, could he?