#44 - Irony

"I've heard rumours that you're currently taking care of [Y/n]," a voice sounded from behind Rayne, stopping the doctor in his tracks.  He turned around and bowed to his king, though the look on his face - as always - was one of slight mockery.  Olli rolled his eyes at Rayne's antics, continuing to stare at the man with a glare that demanded answers.

"So pushy..." Rayne hummed, straightening himself again.  "Yes, she's in my care for some... rehabilitation."

"Do you really expect me to believe that?" Olli muttered.  "Whatever qualms you have with her, keep them to yourself.  You and I both know she had no control over Nyais' death.  Exerting your anger on her won't help anyone."

"No, really," Rayne laughed, leaning back a little.  The nonchalance in which he exuded never failed to cause Olli relative concern.  He always had the slight fear that he was being played and, in a fashion, he was.  Though not too obviously.  Rayne had enough enemies as it was; he didn't fancy making one out of the king.  "I haven't been doing anything bad.  I value my head and I know how quickly those boys will snatch it from me if I don't do exactly as they wish."

"Oh really?" Olli muttered.  "Don't try to make out that you're scared of some kids."

"But I am," Rayne grinned, "and you certainly should be too.  For vampires, they work together especially well... and they're terribly strong.  I've heard whispers that Kaist and Jay are already struggling to handle them.  Trying to give them mundane tasks to slow down their progress in fear of being challenged.  Don't you think you should do something about this sort of corruption?" Rayne grinned.  "Or, do you condone it? I suppose, when you run a kingdom like ours, corruption is power."

    "Enough," Olli snapped, crossing his arms over his chest. "Rayne, you may think of me as stupid but I assure you I am not. Do not think you can trample over me like you trample over everyone else. You know why you live how you live; you know why you're here. Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

    "Haha, and you think I have the strength to bite?" Rayne raised a brow. "Oh please."

    "I'm tired of this trivial nonsense, Rayne. Let the girl go or I will strip you of your title and status rights," Olli growled out.

    "Since when did you have any care for that human? You're starting to act like Nyais. You know what happened to him." Rayne cracked his neck and smoothed out his coat, instigating that he wanted to leave, content with having the last word. Or at least what he'd hoped could've been the last word.

    "Be careful, Rayne. You and I both know they'll come after you next."

    "You think I don't know that already?"

    "Of course you do. But sometimes I feel that you miss the obvious."

    "I never miss a thing," Rayne cleared his throat, "perhaps you should also be more careful, your highness." Rayne flashed Olli a momentary false smile, turned on his heel and briskly walked away.

* * *

"Good news. Your stay has been cut short," Rayne muttered to the [h/c] haired girl blandly. [Y/n] slowly raised her head (which had been leaning against the cool metal bars of her cramped cell) and stared at Rayne, little emotion in her gaze. He walked over to her cell and unlocked it, grabbing her wrist and pulling her to her feet. [Y/n] didn't really have the strength to stand straight. She slumped against the bars, her brow furrowing in pain. "It's not like I've dehydrated you or anything. What, can't go a few days without any food? Pathetic."