#26 - One Corpse, No Funeral

I'm sorry in advance.
Also, above I have attached a composition of mine that I wrote specifically to be played whilst reading this chapter.  You don't need to put it on loop as it's about as long as it needs to be :)
Thank you xx

    "You okay with leaving her on her own again today?" the silver haired male walking beside Nyais questioned, one eyebrow raised.  Nyais nodded his head, regarding the concerns of his friend but politely dismissing them.

    "Yes.  I've asked Jay to make sure that the area around our accommodation is safe and guarded, just in case," Nyais affirmed.  "She'll be fine—"

    "Never be certain," his friend said abruptly.  "Certainty will land you in an early grave.  I didn't think you needed reminding."

    "You're one to talk, Olli," Nyais laughed, shaking his head.  Olli shrugged.  "On a different subject, what do you think of Rayne right now?  Don't you agree he's been acting... weird?"

    "Yes," Olli sighed, "I had observed that.  Do you think he's contemplative after Leya passed?  I remember they were friends in a way," Olli hummed.  Nyais narrowed his eyes at the King's statement but didn't say any more, still mindful of his authority.

    "I feel like it's more to do with the fact that there's a human he can't torture.  Maybe seeing a human in an environment that's not his basement has softened him a little?  I heard he mercy killed his last victim."  Olli's eyes widened a little at this.

    "Well that really is a surprise.  Say, how was he when he met [Y/n]?" Olli questioned.

    "The first time he tried to act 'nice' for a while but it fell apart quite quickly.  The second time, he was a bit of an ass, but I don't believe he did too much.  He says he hates [Y/n].  It's unfathomable to me that Rayne might hate a human but if it spares her having to see him, I'll take that with open arms."  Olli shrugged at this.

"So, was there a reason you wanted me to walk with you?" he asked finally.  Nyais paused for a moment as he considered his answer.

"I haven't seen you in a while.  I thought it would be nice to catch up," Nyais shrugged.

"You and I both know that's a load of rubbish," Olli sighed.  "You want something.  What is it?"

"To talk to my friend.  As I said."  The firmness in Nyais' tone suggested to Olli that he was indeed telling the truth, which clearly shocked the king as he went silent for a while.

"This human girl really has changed you.  I wouldn't say it's for the better, though."  He looked absentmindedly at a few of the portraits on the wall.  "Don't lose yourself, Nyais.  If she ever becomes a burden to you or our society, you know what I'll be forced to do."  Nyais narrowed his eyes at this.

"I'd say we're all caught up, wouldn't you?" Nyais muttered, staring at his friend and superior with an empty look.  Olli sighed and dipped his head, taking the hint and walking away. As Nyais continued in the general direction of his office, he thought. For the first time in a while, he recalled the days before he became an elite. The days where he, Leya and Rayne all lived together in some form of discordant harmony.

* * *

    "Hey, Nyais, did you hear?" an excited feminine voice called as Leya waltzed into the room, "that old fart- oh, what was his name, Isan, was it? Yeah, him... he got killed by some humans! I mean, serves him right for going to that weird scary place where they have those weird scary weapons but still, isn't it great! You're one step away from being an elite now!" she beamed, running up to Nyais and flinging her arms around him. He smiled and shook his head.