The Introduction

Ten-minute read

Allison's POV

Allison Grynn dared peek at the red Seiko clock above Mr. Chandler's head.

15 minutes left for this Physics class to end.

She sighed, the sound muffled by her fear of getting caught. The whiteboard gave a gleam over a few words, the title reading Nuclear Fission. Allison turned her head, scanning the class till she saw a pair of warm brown eyes staring back at her.

She gave a small smile. Sam Brookson smiled back. He raised his eyebrows, a silent question.

Will you join us today?

Allison nodded her head.

12 minutes.

She stared back at Mr.Chandler who'd been seated entangled with his new iPhone in hand. It had managed to distract him enough that Friday to not be his usual strict self.

He looked up at that moment, ending the two minute window of pause they'd taken from noting down his lecture.

Allison looked at her own notebook. Pictures of skyscrapers at a horizon before the suburbs of Greenfoot. Her view from the glass beside her.

A small crumpled paper ball hit her temple and she rubbed it, looking down at the fallen ball. Then she looked up for the bossy girl who'd thrown it.

Annie Aar had scrunched her nose in frustration at her, her gray eyes turning stormy. Allison straightened out the paper ball beneath her desk. It read,

Dnt ordr the milkshake xoxo

Allison looked up to nod submissively but the 4.0 GPA queen had gotten back to scribbling hastily as her time ran out.

7 minutes left.

A brown head popped at the slit glass on the door, the movement catching Allison's eye. Duha looked up, black eyes like two chips of obsidian. And motioned her to come out.

Allison looked back at Mr.Chandler who'd finally put down his phone. He looked at her, her pens lying uselessly around her desk. Her posture slumped and her face the model expression of boredom.

He opened his mouth to say something, though before a word could escape the door exuded a soft knock.

Long curly brown hair cascaded down to Duha's waist as she entered the classroom. Her tall, curvy frame gave the scratching pens a halt. Though Annie's purple marker kept pacing mercilessly on the paper.

"Mr. Chandler, the principal wants to meet with you.", She said, solemn."He says he sent a student to this class an hour ago with the message."

"Who'd he send?", Mr.Chandler inquired looking at the twenty-four pupils in the class.

Allison's hand lazily went up.

"He sent me, sir." She continued, playing the part of careless student flawlessly, "I forgot to tell you"

"What did he say?", Asked Mr.Chandler skeptically.

"Financial matters" replied the two girls simultaneously.

All doubt evaporated from Mr.Chandler's face as he pocketed his new phone and grabbed his books.

"Class dismissed", he called over his shoulder as he left the classroom.

The class remained silent as he exitted the doorway and went down the hall. It was silent as he rounded the corner. Only when they heard his footsteps touch the stairs did the entirety of the students get up with a cheer. Back clapping and hand holding ensued as most of them left the classroom in groups.