Mission 1123

Twelve-minute read

Allison's POV

That evening, Annie and Allison walked down the streets in companionable silence.

"When do you plan to tell him about everything?", Asked Allison.

Annie understood, "Soon"

"You can't keep the truth from him, you know, I've known him six years now. He's pretty serious about you."

"You think so?", Asked Annie, a twinge of hope lacing her tone.

"I know so"

"Promise me you won't tell him before I do"

"I didn't plan on it"

"I'm worried that he'll look at me differently"

"What do you mean?"

"What if he doesn't like me, as what I really am?"

"If he doesn't like you for what you truly are then he isn't meant for you" replied Allison bluntly.

She let the words sink in. It was a block later that Annie spoke again.

"He asked me out for Tule day, I don't know what I'll wear... I didn't even plan to go to Tule"

"It's okay, you can borrow my dress"

"It won't fit, I'm four inches taller than you"

"You'll look so pretty that he won't need to look at your feet"

Annie looked forward, a slight pink tainting her ears.

"Don't worry, we'll do something about it. Meet me Sunday?"

"Near Bottlework's"

"Done"

They rounded the corner to a bus stop. The evening bus came to transport students, workers and the weekly shoppers to the hilly suburbs of Greenfoot. Annie climbed up its steps, and Allison waved at her as the bus sped off down the road.

January morning, six months ago, Allison had gone to the farmer's market for an early errand. It had been cold enough that she'd regretted her decision. Yet the thought of fresh fruit at wholesale had been attractive.

She'd passed through various stalls, apples, eggplants and onions hanging from a tote bag on her shoulder. Allison had scanned the market for oranges, only to find a familiar set of steel grey bespectacled eyes. Even then focused on a book.

Annie Aar had sat on the cold floor of the market that freezing morning, her younger twin brothers huddled against her on a threadbare blanket. One of whose fingers had turned a slight shade of purple.

Gone was the high end makeup and designer bags. The girl she'd taken to be a strutting peacock had sat as meek and vulnerable as a cat.

Annie had looked up then, mascara stained eyes widening behind her reading glasses as she recognized Allison, Sam's best friend.

She'd stood up, idly wrapping up her brothers when she saw Allison make her way towards her. For a fleeting moment, Allison had felt as though she might make a run for it.

Before the two of them could come closer, Annie's mother brandished an orange towards Allison. Claiming them to be the sweetest in the market.

The truth registered in Allison's mind.

Annie Aar was a farmer's daughter.

She'd quietly bought one dozen tangerines and a grapefruit, and had sat down beside Annie and her brothers.