Facets of A Story

Felix's POV

Felix Maximus Daymer adjusted the glinting lapels of his navy blue suit. The city outside swirled about in a gray overcast day. The brown planked walls of his second storey bedroom gave off an unnatural hue with the lack of light.

He bit his lip nervously as he turned around the room to make sure he had it all. Wallet, keys and phone. He paused a minute as he patted his pockets. The brown leather belt lay forgotten on the crumpled sheets of his bed.

He mentally smacked his forehead as he rushed to pick it up. Downstairs the unmistakable sounds of a Car truck being slammed down were followed by hurried conversation. He struggled with the buckle

His mother called from downstairs.

"Just a minute!" He yelled back, panicking.

Having adjusted his clothes, he ran down the stairs to the car.

"... For the new term.", His mother was speaking. She halted when she saw him, smiling at him.

The smile disappeared almost immediately.

"We're half an hour late! Heavens, what were you doing?!" She demanded.

"I- uh...", He spoke out, still not used to the throaty slur of his own voice after a summer of quiet reading.

"Get in the car!", She ushered him out into the rain drenched world, the drops hitting his ears.

She sat on the passenger seat as the driver whizzed off the car.

"It's a shame your dad couldn't make it." Began his mom.

He rolled his eyes.

"My, my, the Amethyst! Of all the schools!"

He suppressed his smile, nervousness clenching a tight ball in his belly.

"I always knew you would make us proud!"

"It's just a scholarship, mom. I haven't started yet." Despite those words, butterflies flew as he spoke.

"Ah yes, about that." His mother fumbled around in her purse and took out a small case. She held it out to him.

He felt the solid weight of it in his hands as he looked up questioningly and opened the box.

A long, slender pair of scissors laid in it. It was longer than his hand, the finger holes barely there. It looked more like a pair of needles held together by a small drop of water. His element.

He beamed up at his mother.

"Keep them safe, they're for your Wisdom ceremony."

"I will, I will... Thank you so much!"

She clasped his hand in hers.

"I know you will." She replied.

He shut the case and carefully placed it in his sling bag. It thunked into the dark depths from which even his hands would recoiled at times.

The cab took them to the Golden Arches. Faeries flew over the gates into the various thresholds, their wings glinting in the morning sun.

Felix got out of the cab and carried his trunk with him to the bridge. A small leap into the face of the gushing river below filled his wings with air and he gave them a flap, the trunk weighed him down and nearly strained his wings.

Mrs. Daymer floated patiently above him as he reached her and they continued their way upwards to the bridge.

As they got closer and closer, children of all ages could be seen with suitcases and sling bags next to their arches. Conductors stood by the arches, ticking off names on glass tablets as the children stepped through.