Chapter 9

Still reeling from the events of the night before, Gladys had no energy for school or River Vixen practice, she just wasn't in the right state, and she made that very well known as she staggered across the field slowly with a face like death towards her squad.

She caught FP on the field looking in her direction at the corner of her eye. His face full of confusion and regret over last night. They hadn't spoken since, and he figured she had no intention of doing so when she shifted her eyes off him and continued to walk towards Penelope.

"Trouble in Paradise?" Fred wondered as the two were busy placing cones on the grass.

FP turned back towards his friend and was about to answer before being interrupted by Coach Carson

"Jones?! Andrews?! Enough chit chat, more work!"

"I'll talk about it later." FP said before continuing the task at hand.

"For Christ sake Jennifer! I said clasp right punch up not left!" Penelope fumed with bared teeth and her lips shaking to try and hold back a breakdown. She was still feeling immensely guilty about the situation with Alice on Saturday and nobody had told her anything. All that had been going through her mind was that she was possibly responsible for a miscarriage.

She ran her trembling fingers through her copper locks and tightened her mouth before releasing a loud sigh. Gladys' footsteps slowly approaching caught her attention.

"And where the fuck have you been?! You're late!" She roared as she stormed over to Gladys.

Gladys froze in place, folding her arms across her chest, jutting her hip out and narrowing her eyes. Surely Penelope must've forgotten who she was talking to.

Penelope remained silent, with Gladys' actions telling her she was overstepping. "Sor- Sorry. It's just, you're late, and I can't deal with these dumb bitches on my own when they can't even tell their lefts and rights." Penelope babbled gesturing towards the Vixens.

"I'm late for one practice session and that's your reaction?" Gladys questioned, her arms still folded across her chest.

"Well can you blame me?" Penelope snapped with tear filled eyes. Even Gladys in that moment thought she was being over dramatic.

Penelope took ahold of her best friends arm and pulled her aside. She didn't want any of the Vixens to hear what she had to say.

"I've practically been avoiding Alice all day." She whispered. "If I had known she was pregnant I would have never- I could be branded a baby killer if this gets out-"

Gladys grabbed a hold of her flailing hands, urging her to calm herself.

"Penelope shut up! The baby's fine." Gladys assured her angrily before loosening the grip on her wrists.

Penelope's eyes turned bright and the corners of her mouth flicked up. A huge weight had been lifted off of her shoulders as she finally released a breath she had been holding.

"Oh thank God!" She laughed. "I really thought I was screwed then." She added nudging Gladys with her elbow. The brunette didn't react in the slightest as she continued to gaze out into the field.

"Are you okay?" Penelope asked concerned.

Gladys shifted her eyes back to Penelope with very little emotion. Of course there was something wrong, but she didn't get into it.

"Yeah. I'm fine, let's just practice." She wandered off towards the rest of the Vixens, slamming her duffle bag down. Hopefully going over a new routine for the next game would distract her from the fact that her boyfriend was having a baby with another girl.