Chapter 36

A full week had flown by, seemingly faster than the speed of light but filled to the brim with high tension, gruelling circumstances and pure dread for Alice and her loved ones, but albeit the tough and trying times they were faced to endure, it finally came to much relieving halt when the doctors and nurses of Riverdale general confirmed Charles' full and healthy recovery.

She could finally bring her beautiful baby boy home, safe and sound, and smother him with all the love and attention she had to offer with no visiting hours or safety precautions preventing her from doing so.

As her father was busy packing up Charles' belongings, Alice had taken a brief moment to sit back and peacefully feed him naturally, something she had grown to miss throughout his stay, even during the night period, and it made her realise just how much and how crucial is was to bond with Charlie in this way and how blessed she was to do so. It was moments like this she had taken for granted before, but she swore she'd no longer do so.

"What a week." Roger exasperated, placing a few final items in Charles diaper bag before preparing his car seat.

"Tell me about it." She agreed in a mild grunt, releasing Charlie from her chest and placing him over her shoulder to prepare to wind him.

"You did clean the house right? Thoroughly?" She stressed, arching her brow her fathers way. Her seriousness was understandable seeing as clean and bacteria free surroundings were key in Charles' recovering and ensuring he didn't end up back here, on top of that was still so young and susceptible to much more illnesses.

"Yes!" Roger assures her, soon returning to the packing. "Top to bottom. I even sprung out for one of those pinnies."

"I'm just being careful." She defends through a sigh of frustration, slowly rubbing circles in Charles' back. "I don't want him back in this place again." Alice added with a hint of worry in her voice as she held a tighter grip onto Charles, resting

"And he won't be sweetie." Roger stressed with strong confidence and warming smile as he walked around the crib to where his daughter and grandson were seated and placed a firm comforting hand on her shoulder as she looked up at him.

"I know all of this did a number on you, but honey, you're doing an amazing job, and don't let anyone tell you different, alright?"

A beaming smile crossed Alice's face as she took in her fathers encouraging words, slowly nodding in acknowledgement. "Thanks Dad."

"No problem kiddo." Roger replied before laying a brief kiss on top of her blonde mane. "Now c'mon. Let's get this little one home."

•••

FP staggered home after working a gruelling night shift at Pop's, his dorky crisp white uniform and red suspenders  and bow tie being loosened the second her left the diner.

The sweat on his brow and forehead still present from the heat of the cookers and his aching feet were nothing but a true testament to how tired he was, and normally he would spend the rest of his day catching up on sleep but the news of Charles coming home today prevented that as he wanted to see his little boy the second Alice brought him back from the hospital, so an hours of shut eye was all he needed for now.

"Mom? Dad?" He called out as he entered his motor home, taking a quick big unfocused glance around the dining area before rushing to refrigerator and opening it up for a much needed refreshment.

"In here!" Fiona responded from the other room.

He retrieved his soda and waltzed into the living room upon following the sounds of his mother's voice, but was stunned to see Gladys also present sat opposite his mother in the leather couch.