Chapter 13

Alice was stood by the sink, downing a glass of water before she had to leave for school but was interrupted by her father staggering through the front door with a Christmas tree in hand.

"Isn't it a little early to be buying Christmas trees?" She points

Once fully through the door, he removes his hat and scarf and places the tree down into a corner.

"Well the earlier you get them, the cheaper they are. And we need to be saving as much as we can right now."

"Suppose you're right. Can you give me a ride to school?" She begs.

"Sure sweetie."

•••

"Should it be this cold in November?" Hermione asked Alice rhetorically through shattering teeth.

The two of them were sat outside at the benches during morning break.

"This might be the coldest day of the year. And just think, you've gotta do River Vixen practice in just a flimsy skirt in this weather after school. Sucks for you." Alice jokes

"Well at least I'm doing something after school, have you thought about joining any clubs? Surely it's better than staying at home in your trailer all alone pining over FP." Hermione wonders, earning an unimpressed glare from Alice.

"Why don't you worry less about me and more about your own love life?" Alice retorts referring to Hermione's new found infatuation with Fred Andrews.

"Speaking of." Alice slyly mentions as she sees Fred coming their way with a giddy smile on his face.

"Hermione?" He calls from behind. Her eyes pop open in surprise and she whips her head around so fast her raven locks swing over to her shoulder.

"Hi, Fr- Fred." She stammers out, looking up at him as if he were some God in his blue and gold varsity jacket.

"I just came over because-" His face was completely flushed as he clenched his fists, preparing his words mentally.

"Came over because what Fred? We don't have all day." Alice snaps

"I was just gonna ask, the Winter Ball is coming up, and I was wondering if, if you'd like to go together?" He questions as his eyes gleamed.

Hermione's mouth falls open before she turns it into a smile. "I'd love to go Fred." She kindly accepts, still in shock at his proposal to begin with.

He nods his head. "So, I'll pick you up next Friday then?"

"Sure. Can't wait." Hermione smiles before watching him walk off into the field.

"Seems like Cupid's working his good magic for some eh?" Alice points out before resting her arms on the table and leaning her head into them.

"Oh don't be like that Alice." Hermione says sadly as she rests her hand upon Alice's

"No, I'm sorry, I'm happy for you, I am, it's just-." She takes a second to reflect before rising back up and looking. "Nobody's even asked me yet and it's just a reminder of how the one guy I want, well wanted, is shacked up with somebody else."

"You've gotta let FP go. Romantically anyway. And a great way to do that is to meet new people. And the best way to meet new people is extra curriculars." She mentions with a smile, annoying Alice instantly.

"Don't start this again Hermione." Alice warns as she runs her hands down her face

"Just listen to me! I heard the Blue and Gold-"

"The Blue and Gold?" Alice wonders with furrowed brows

"Yes. The school newspaper. I heard they were looking for a reporter to document the big game week and everything leading up to it."

The Riverdale High Bulldogs had a huge game coming up against the Greendale Ravens in a few weeks and everybody involved was on edge.

"I don't know Hermione." Alice says with self doubt.

"You're an amazing writer and story teller Alice, at least think about it. This is right up your street."

Alice sighs before continuing. "I guess you're right. Plus it would be good to do something other than mope around the trailer all evening."

Hermione grins in excitement before clasping her hands together. "Perfect!"

The school day comes to an end and Alice decides to take up Hermione's advice once and for all. At the end of the day, her new bestie did have a point. She was miserable and spending most of her evenings alone pining over a boy she couldn't have and worrying about being a teen Mom certainly didn't help. She needed a distraction, a healthy distraction. Something she could put her very limited energy into.

She traipsed through the school halls until she came across the English department, which is where the office for the Blue and Gold was located.

She stood by the door and observed through the window two young men who she hadn't seen before. Probably because they were on the other side of their year group.

Taking a breath, she boldly stepped into the small office and approached the desk. "Hey. This is the Blue and Gold right? I heard you were looking for a reporter?" She tells the meek and dorky dark haired boy with glasses.

He looks up at her from his computer, a little stunned. He wasn't expecting anybody to appear at the office today.

"Uhm yes. Yes we are but my partner handles all of that." He announces nervously, gesturing to the sandy blond haired blue eyed preppy boy on the other side of the room.

He stood up from his desk and walked over to Alice with a spring in his step, his shoulders held back and a seemingly charming look in his face.

He stands before her, looking her up and down before finally gazing into her eyes. "Hi. I'm Hal Cooper. Chief editor of the Blue and Gold." He holds his hand out for Alice to shake and she kindly accepts, still thinking its mildly dorky and way too formal. "And that's Daryl, my assistant and second in command."

"Hi. I'm Alice." She greets with a small smile.

"Funny, I don't think I've seen you before." Hal mentions as he narrows his eyes in curiosity.

"Probably because we're on different sides of the year, and I usually just keep myself to myself." Alice reveals before biting her lip nervously.

"It must be that reason. I know I'd never forget a pretty face like yours." Hal flirted as his eyes beamed with charm

Alice was honestly stunned by his words. She'd had tonnes of compliments from boys before ranging from her looks to how she was in the sack but something about Hal's words felt genuine.

She blushes instantly before chuckling. "Is this part of the interview process?" She wonders as she looks up at him and bites her lip.

"No need for an interview process when you've already filled the position." He answers as he turns back to his desk.

Alice's lips part in shock and her eyes brows instantly raise as she turns to him. "Wait?! I got position? Just like that?!"

"Yes. We've been looking for weeks and nobody's taken the initiative to actually approach us. So when can you start?"

"Shit, right now!"