Chapter one

Chapter one.

We were destined to be best friends , well that's how I always saw it. 

From the moment my mother trudged up the stairs of the local supermarket to the rooms above ,where the weekly " Mummy 'n' Me " classes were held. Her belly button popping out due to her six month swollen belly , containing yours truly. Having misread the flyer she saw on the notice board the week before announcing the birthing classes ,my mother and father in their early 20's " wet behind their ears " as they'd say. Stumbled into an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting ,led by an old lady ,with greying hair and a hard face.

To this day I still remember the flush creeping up my mother's neck and onto her cheeks as she recounted the story to me a million times. It was my favorite origin story.

" There your father and I were walking into an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting while I was six months pregnant. There was not a closed mouth in that room , the looks on their faces were priceless ... " she paused to mimic the stunned face of the lady leading the meeting.

" ...and it only got worse when another couple walked into the room as well , that being Kenya's parents.Everyone probably thought it was an invasion of the pregnant alcoholic women. "

In all honesty it wasn't a funny or exciting story ,but to me at the tender age of seven and a half it was the best story because it proved that Kenya and I met while in our mother's bellies. It cemented my belief that our friendship was written in the stars from the beginning of time.

Once they had explained the mix up of the dates and that they were actually there for  the " Mummy 'n' Me " classes. Not in fact raging pregnant alcoholics. They left with their cheeks crimson and tears of suppressed laughter and went around the block to the little coffee shop called the "Cherry swirl " ,while our  mothers indulged their pregnancy cravings with gazed , creamed and sugared donuts , washed all down with triple thick toffee milkshakes topped with cherry flavored whipped cream and a cherry on top.

Thus ,began the weekly visits every Thursday evening after the " Mommy 'n' me " classes and continued even after we were both born. The 'swirl' became our special place , mine and Kenya's , it's where our two stories became one.

•••

My seatbelt was digging into the side of my shoulder , it's fabric rubbing against my exposed skin no matter how many times I pulled it away. I couldn't breathe ,suddenly feeling trapped in my car , I pressed the buttons along the side of my door opening all the windows , allowing air to enter along with the freezing rain.

Hardly noticing the rain or the frozen slaps across my face and body. Wetting my white t-shirt and creating botches of wetness on my jeans. My mind was too far away to feel or take into account that I was getting drenched and I'd probably end up with a cold.

When I'd received that phone call half an hour ago from Detective Winston , I held my breath ,while clinging to hope and willing him to say he'd found her. I didn't expect him to say I needed to come on down , to identify a body in their morgue down at the station. I'd asked him " why me ? Why not Mr Ross or Mrs Ross ? " but apparently Mr Ross was out of town , visiting relatives Incase Kenya was there and as for Mrs Ross , well she was an emotional wreck , relying on sleeping pills to get her through the night and staying with her sister while Mr Ross was away because she was severely unstable on her own. I just so happened to be the only person available to identify the body.

I drove to the station in a haze of numbness. Imagining the worst but hoping for the best. I couldn't bring myself to believe that it would actually be her especially not after the sunflower post-it note I found on my car window a couple days ago. Those stupid yellow post-it notes are Kenya's signature mark. So when i'd found it I figured she'd be back but ...

•••

The viewing room was cold and white , painfully white. Through the glass window I could see a body on a gurney , covered by a pale blue sheet. Detective Winston stood to my left , he smelt of stale cigarette smoke and mint chewing gum.

" When you're ready Lola " he said and so I nodded. Detective Winston proceed to press a button I hadn't noticed there before and spoke into the telecom , telling the examiner on the other side of the glass that I was 'ready' , I silently wondered if I actually was.

But I most defiantly wasn't prepared for what I saw once the sheet was pulled down. Lucid skin stained blue ,black and purple , open wounds , flesh and bones poking out. I turned away , my hand flew to my open mouth as I tried and failed to suck air into my lungs.

In that moment I felt a whirlwind of emotions surging through my body but the most prominent was anger. She lied! She'd lied to me on that stupid note of hers.

Lola

Don't freak please. I'll explain once I get back and I promise I will.
                      -Kenya

•••
First chapter is up 🎉
Please vote , comment , like && share 🙏🏽🙏🏽