Chapter four

As it turns out I didn't faint. I wish I did though. I wish I fainted , hit my head and woke up in a world with Kenya still alive and all this having just been a nightmare. Wishful thinking.

I watch the houses and stores pass by as we drive down the road. Thankfully , my dad insisted on driving me to the station , so I dodged a bullet otherwise I'd be sitting in the back of the police van like a common criminal.

My left arm is red with nail marks , pinching myself to make sure I'm not still asleep and this is all a dream.

•••

Arriving at the station , Detective Winston shows us to the front desk , where I am told to leave my cell phone ,wallet ,watch and suffer through an uncomfortable body search. Apparently being interviewed is like being booked into jail. It's so surreal , a part of me feeling like this isn't happening to me. Honestly , it can't be.

Once done with the emptying of my pockets and the filling in of a document stating that this is only an interview to gather details for the case of Kenya Ross' kidnapping and murder.

Detective Winston ushers me into an interrogation room , my dad left behind seeing as I'm of age and won't need parental supervision. I was given the option but declined , I'm not being arrested. Just questioned. I hope.

The interrogation room is intimidating. A bare bulb hangs above a table with two chairs on either side. With a "mirror" against one wall. I've seen movies I know that's a two way glass mirror. I roll my eyes internally. Gosh this is so cliché.

Detective Winston takes a seat , his back facing the mirror and indicates with his head for me to take the seat opposite from him , facing the mirror.

I do just that and fold my hands on top of my lap. Briefly glancing around the room. Just as I thought , there's a camera in the corner adjacent to the mirror. Finally , letting my eyes land on Detective Winston. Only noticing now that he has a brown folder on the table in front of him.

There's a long moment of silence before he speaks.
" Do you mind if I record this interview?" He asks and now I really have to suppress an eye roll ,while he producers a small recording device from his jacket pocket.

Detective Winston isn't a local. He's from the city , here on loan to our pathetic police department. When it became evident that something had happened to Kenya he was called in. I heard through the grapevine that he was a big shot detective a couple years back but lost his touch after his wife and daughter were killed by one of his perpetrator's gang members.

So basically he is trying to regain his reputation in our town.

"Sure you can record" I answer , in reference to whether I minded or not if he did so.
He presses a button on the device and a red light appears. He pushes it to the middle of the table. Then speaks stating the time and the date for the benefit of the recorder. After introducing himself and I , he pauses for a moment.

" Okay , Miss Lockwood , just to be clear once again this interview is merely for the purpose of gathering information regarding to the case of Kenya Ross' kidnapping and murder. Whatever information you give us will be followed up if deemed important or relating to the case in any way. Everything you say during this interview will be confidential unless it is necessary to make the information public. If you wish to stay anonymous with regards to any information or statements that can be arranged. And at any time if you feel the need to end the interview you may do so. I can not hold you here as this is just an interview and you are not a suspect currently..."

Currently?

"...I would ask that you be completely honest with regard to your answers during this interview. Nothing no matter how insignificant may point us in the right direction ,so I plead that you hold your candor. My goal in this interview is to come to an understanding of the events leading to the victim's disappearance , which we now deem a kidnapping due to significant evidence. I also ask that once you leave this room you refrain from disclosing the details of the investigation or any information relating to it thus far as it is an ongoing investigation and a slip of information may derail the progress we have made and hope to make. Keep a safe distance from the media and if you are approached by any news crews or reporters ,I ask that you leave no comment ,as anything you may say can be twisted to deflect the truth. As I'm sure you're aware at this time , this case has received a lot of news coverage , both local and national. If any information is leaked and tracked back to you we will have no choice but to bring and keep you in custody. Charges may be pressed against you for such an action. The details of this case are very gruesome a tight lid has to be kept on it at all times..."