Chapter eleven

"Kenya?" I repeat when she doesn't answer the first call of her name, "Is that you? Where are you?Kenya say something!"

My sobbing has increased by this point , I am all but wailing , screaming into the speaker of my phone for a reply from her. Maybe this nightmare might actually be over. Maybe we'll find her. I say as much.

"Kenya talk to me. I'll come get you. Wherever you are. Just tell me something anything. Kenya please, I've been so worried. Let me help you. Just tell me where you are." All but pleading with her when she speaks.

"Lola, help me. I'm so scared—" she sobs into the phone at her end, "I'm in trouble. Help me please Lola."

The sobbing I hear through the phone matches that of mine, "Just tell me where you are I'll come get you."

"I've said too much..." panic seizes her voice when she speaks again, "I have to go now. Just please find me, please Lola. I love you.NO.....SNOW—" As she says the last part I hear a man's voice in the background, followed by a loud sound , which I assume to be a slap to the face.

The line goes dead. I am left screaming her name into the phone, begging her to speak again. But my only reply is that of the dial tone. 

•••

It took almost a hour for my breathing to get back to normal , the tears to dry and for my parents to returned home.

Giggles, badly suppressed accompany them around the house as they bump into furniture and "sush" each other. Footsteps ascend the stairs and stop outside my bedroom door.

I pull the covers up to my neck and shut my eyes tightly. I know we need to have a conversation soon. All three of us. But I will stall for as long as possible. Right now would be the worst time for such a talk. I am emotionally drained, they are intoxicated, need I say more? It's all just a bad combination.

My bedroom door opens momentarily, allowing a silver of light to creep into the room and just as quickly as it appears it disappears again. The footsteps start walking further up the hallway, to my father's room, two sets of footsteps and a shit load of giggling.

I plug in my earphones, turn the volume up high, playlist on shuffle. I need my head to be filled with something, anything. As long as it isn't Kenya's broken, pleading voice or the sound of my parents fornicating down the hall.

•••

Sleep engulfed my body and mind with a hazy sensation. I soaked up the few hours of sleep I managed. Awaking with my mind set and a determination to my step. I am going to find Kenya. No matter the risks. No matter what. I will bring her home safely and make that bastard Snow pay for what he did. 

With this resolve fixated firmly I breezily showered and changed. Now I sit waiting for Xavier. In the same position as last time.

In the text I sent him when I woke up. I told him I'd be at his house, actually, down the street from his house at 8am, we have no time to waste.

Needless to say I arrived early. My nerves getting the better of me and so I wait.

Today is a picture perfect day, the sky a bright blue, the breeze light and the sun sizzling just a tad bit less. However, it'll take a lot more than pretty weather to lighten my mood.

After ten minutes of waiting Xavier exits the house. I can't explain this attraction I have for him. I grew up with both Kenya and Xavier. Never once did a romantic thought enter my mind. Never did I see him as anything more than my best friend's brother, basically like a brother of my own too.

But now...I see everything I missed before.
The smoothness of his skin, sharpness of his jaw, sparkle of his eyes and even though I don't see it that often considering the circumstances, his smile is a dazzling megawatt heart stopper. And boy, oh boy, is my heart stopping now.