Chapter five

The rest of the interview went along pretty uneventful , just more unsettling , gruesome details were laid out in front of me. I left the station two hours later , both psychically and emotionally drained.

My dad didn't ask any questions on the way home , I was grateful for his lack of curiosity , I probably wouldn't have been able to answer him anyways. Not because I wasn't allowed too , but because saying it out loud would mean I had to remember the details of her murder , which I much rather preferred to push to the back of my mind for the time being.

•••
" Lola , come on honey we're going to be late. " my dad calls from the bottom of the stairs.
" I'm coming give me two minutes. " I reply. It's the next morning , I'm showered , changed and unfortunately not too well rested but the bags under my eyes are easily covered and hidden away.

I grab my jacket off the back of my desk chair and head down the stairs.

My father stands by the front door , car keys in hand , eyes set on his watch. He looks up as I approach , he appears to be just as tired as I am , the bags under his eyes not so easily covered.

We leave the house , careful to lock up and get in the car. My dad's driving me around today , I think after what happened to Kenya he doesn't want to let me out of his sight. It could also be the fact that my hands have been shaking slightly since last night , his well aware of my inability to cope right now.

I haven't cried yet. My mind is just blank. I suppose I made it that way to stop from feeling the turmoil within me. It's not healthy , I know , but I can't let myself feel anything right now. I have too much to do without my emotions getting in the way. First order of business , find Kenya's secret boyfriend. Here's hoping my coffee companion can help with that.

We're on our way to the Swirl.

•••
I have to beg my dad to stay in the car and not embarrass me by walking me in like I am in kindergarten. It takes a lot of pleading and promises of calling if I need a ride home until he is placated enough to leave me be. Besides , he has to get to work he can't babysit me all day.

My father is a college professor for the local college , a few miles out of town. Teaching has always been his passion.

When applying to colleges I had considered staying local but decided against it in the end. I had to branch out , my dad seemed to understand. So when I applied and was accepted into NYU he was overjoyed. Also , it's only a two hour drive away from home , so I wouldn't be too far away from him.

Walking into the coffee shop , I instantly take a deep breath of the roasted coffee bean and whipped cream scent that is a trademark of the Swirl. Throwing a quick glance around the room , not spotting anyone of interest I make my way over to the counter to place an order.

"Hey ,Lola darling " greets Cody , the best barista ever and a long time friend of mine. Cody is short but with a firm build. His dirty blond hair combed and styled into place with a lot of hairspray I suspect. His brown eyes twinkling as if he knows some private joke.

"Hi Cody , how you doing. " I greet back once getting to the counter.

"Same old. Uhm , full disclosure you look like shit today , what's happening with this hair ?" He examines my limp ,towel dried hair holding it up with the tips of his fingers.

I swat his hand away and roll my eyes. "Sorry not everyone is as glamorous as you this early in the morning." I reply.

Cody looks aghast for a split second "Hon , it's 10:30am , hardly early in the morning anymore."
"I had a really long night " I reply with a heavy sign. The tension in my shoulders not loosening a faction.