Chapter Nine

Paranormal beings such as ghosts and demons have never held much interest to me.

Now though , I am starting to think I am being haunted by Kenya's ghost. The logical part of my brain tells me that is crazy. The less logical part tells me , that is exactly what is happening.

She.is.dead!

Her funeral is tomorrow. Furthermore , I saw her lifeless corpse myself. There is no way she could have faked her death when her body is currently in the morgue being prepared for her funeral. Maybe it's Snow , trying to scare me off his path.

That does not make sense though. He doesn't know we're onto him. Besides , Kenya wouldn't have told him about me or her life here. But maybe , but maybe-

Maybe I'm going crazy. Lack of sleep can cause hallucinations , but I can feel the smooth texture of the paper and smell the lingering scent of ink. Clearly , hallucinations are ruled out.

As I stand stock still in front of the bathroom a cold chill passes through my body. Which brings me back to the ghost theory.

I retreat in fear back to my bedroom , closing the bathroom door and locking it. Don't be stupid ,I tell myself.

Safely back in my room I walk towards my desk and take a seat , laptop poised in front of me. I take out the notebook I've been using to store the sticky notes in and place the latest one below.

I use the same notebook to write down what we know so far.

Kenya's disappearance and death. The details about her body and the results of the autopsy. I come to a halt once I realize Detective Winston never mentioned where her body was found. Xavier and I will have to look into that.

I continue writing , the discovery of her dairy , the secrets it held and most importantly Snow.

I have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that tells me Snow is responsible for Kenya's death. He is after all a drug kingpin.

If reading Kenya's diary eliminated one thing , it is that she fell way too deep into darkness.

•••

The few hours sleep I got last night didn't help much. The black smudges under my eyes evident of that. Thank goodness for concealer.

My dad braved the snake pit that is my room. Knocking fainting on the door before I told him to come in.

"Lola , darling. I'm sure you know that today is Kenya's funeral. The Ross' called last night to let us know..."I nod while facing away from him.

Clearing his throat in an attempt to draw my attention away from the window , I am staring intently out of , to no avail.
"Anyway , it starts at ten. Your mother and I are going. Do you want us to go with you or will you meet us there?" At that I snap my head towards him. So it seems my parents are making public appearances now.

"No thanks , I'll just drive there on my own. " I say and turn back towards the window.

"Lola , I know you're confused and angry with your mother and especially with me. But don't judge so easily when you don't know the full story. We're willing to talk to you , when you're ready." I continue to ignore him ," Lola talk to me. What is wrong? We used to talk all the time." He asks

I don't look at him when I talk but I answer him with venom laced in my words.

"There's nothing to talk about dad!"

He doesn't answer and a few beats pass before I hear his retreating footsteps and the gentle click of my door closing.

I slowly turn around in my desk chair. Staring at the point that he stood in. I stand , unlock the bathroom door and enter unseeingly.