Chapter twelve

We walked around the sixth floor for about five minutes. Looking around until we got our bearing. The hotel is pretty huge, each floor housing about one hundred rooms. So if we were to find the 'horror room' we'd need to get back down to the third floor. Which is what we did.

There isn't much activity on either of the floors we passed. Probably because check out time is noon and we arrived here just a little after ten am. Most guests are probably still asleep. We did pass a few housekeeping carts along the way. Xavier swiped a master keycard from one of them. Even with my protests, he refuses to put it back. Saying we'll need it once we find the room. How else will we get in?

Kenya was murdered almost two weeks ago. Her body found a week ago. Whatever evidence that was once in the room has probably been taken by the police or maybe the whole room has been cleaned and we won't find anything. Our chances are slim.

The third floor hold not a single soul and the sound of our shoes on the marble tiles sounds too loud. Stepping off the elevator we have two doors on either side of us. 355 and 356.

"If we go up this way the numbers will keep increasing. There should be another hallway leading to the smaller numbers." I say.

"You're right. I did notice while we were on the sixth floor that the doors without numbers lead to other hallways, so we'll have to try our luck." He replies.

We walk along the hallway reading the numbers on each door until we find one without a number. Pushing that door open reveals a hallway identical to the one we're in. The doors on either said read 339 and 340.

"Okay, find another numberless door. Let's see how lucky we can get."

Doing so, I locate another door, we enter through it into the same hallways but the numbers on the doors here read 305 and 304

"Xavier, I think we missed a door. We went from 340 to 305. Go back out and see if you find anything. I'll look around here." I tell him, to which he complies.

I walk further down the walkway, finding another numberless door, opening it up I step into a hallways much like the rest. The numbers here look closer to what we are searching for.

Walking slowly down the corridor I count off the numbers as they increase, 314, 315, finally 316. Even without the number this door is a dead giveaway, yellow crime scene tap is placed in an "X" across the door, the words "PLOICE INVESTIGATION, DO NOT ENTRE" printed across.

Without realizing it, I stand motionless in front of the door, eyes fixated on the door handle, that I don't even hear footsteps nearing me, until a hand is placed over my mouth and my body pulled into a side room.

Instantly, my mind becomes alert and I elbow my captor in the face, hearing a pain induced groan, before turning around to see Xavier, knees bent and a hand to his nose, blood dripping through his fingers.

"What the fuck Xavier!" I hiss, scared to yell Incase this room is occupied. "I could have seriously hurt you, what were you thinking?"I ask through clenched teeth.

He straightens his body, still with his hand clutching his nose and speaks, "Sorry, but I heard the elevator ding and footsteps heading this way so I came to find you..." the rest of his sentence is cut off as hushed voices approach, I put a finger to my lips, telling him to stay quite while I walk back towards the door and look through the peephole.

Two uniformed police officers pass by the door going to room 316. I take a step back from the door, keeping my breathing even and walk slowly over to Xavier.

"There are two cops outside." I whisper too him. He nods his head in understanding.

Seconds later we hear the swoosh of a keycard in a slot followed by a "click" of the door lock and the voices disappear. Collectively, we let out a sigh of relief.