01 | LUMINANCE

Notes: WHO'S READY?! I am, haha. I'm not gonna bore you guys with telling you how excited I am to finally have this up, but I just did anyway. Guys, please tell me what you think, I worked hella hard on this. As I said in the Author's Note before hand, this fic will be updated every Thursday, and I hope you guys stick around till then! Enjoy!

::

"The moon will guide you through the night with her brightness, but she will always dwell in the darkness, in order to be seen."

::

COLD FINGERS DANCED ALONG THE SPINES OF BOOKS WORN BY TIME. Loki studied the titles, by-passing them with lack of interest at that moment. He didn't feel like reading. Which had been a strange feeling to occur to him, when hadn't he ever felt like reading?

There were moments, he recalled to himself, and with a soft grunt of dismissal, he moved away from the book shelf that Tony Stark had so graciously provided. To keep him occupied - he had said, talking loud enough so Loki could hear him, but even if he had said it bearly above a whisper, the Asgardian would have heard.

Loki was not stupid, and never carried himself so. He knew when he was not wanted, it had been something he learned as a boy, trying his best to be friends with people who saw him as anything but. Master of tricks, Slivertongue, Mischief maker. He was untrusted. And he was well aware.

And no one here made it their business to hide that fact.

Though, he would rather be anywhere else than here, Odin had seen fit, that this was how he was going to serve his doings. At a point, Loki felt nothing but contempt. How dare he place him in the very clutches of the people he was trying to over take? Not only was he reminded of his failed attempts at forced rule, but putting him at the mercy of the Avengers was salt to the wound.

Loki was not allowed to leave the wretched Tower, not that he minded, he would rather stay out of the sight of others. Especially one Clint Barton, who had a rightly placed vendetta against him. It was better to remain in the shadows, someplace he had come to learn wholeheartedly as a dwelling, than to be in the open. So he remained in the room he was given upon arrival, and had been for the couple of weeks he's been on Midgard.

He must admit, the room, though it was hardly what he was used too, he had grown accustomed to it. His own little space where he was allowed to be on his own, unsupervised. It was only three doors away from where Thor stayed, in case Loki would get up to anything, he had remembered Stark saying.

His bare toes wiggled in the soft carpet under his feet, and he stared at the grey fabric with furrowed brows. He stood in front of the book shelf, and lifted his head to stare at the moderately sized bed, covered in dark sheets. The walls were white, which Loki had disliked at first, but had grown to like after he found himself just staring at them in moments of boredom. There was a desk, near the door, littered with bare and half written sheets of paper, and a couple of books he was studying over.

Just next to him was a bathroom for his own private use, it had everything he needed, though he never asked.

He had wondered when he arrived, if Thor had these placed to make him feel comfortable. To make him feel less of what he thought of himself. He may thank him someday, if his pride allowed it.

Loki's gaze shifted, dragging over the contents of his quarters, and stared at the floor to ceiling length windows. Just through a crack in the heavy curtains, the moonlight slipped in, bathing the grey carpet in a dim streak of silver.

Loki studied it, debating. He rocked on his feet for a moment, before moving to turn the lights off; plunging the room in darkness. His eyes adjusted accordingly, and he walked to the curtains, the light from the moon through the crack seemed ever the more alive, now. And Loki toed the line, before with a sigh, he drew the curtains back.

It slid soundlessly as they parted, bathing the room now in moonlight. A soft dull glow that Loki found himself calming in. He stood at the pane of glass, watching the streets below, alive with light, and tiny figures as people and cars pased in the street, and Loki was glad he couldn't hear the commotion.

He sat, his back against the glass, and ran a hand through his hair. He thought for a moment, that he should perhaps get some sleep, but the thought evaded him as it had done an hour earlier, leaving him wide awake and irritated to boot.

He shifted, turning to lean against the wall instead, it was cool against his back. He wrapped his arms around his knees, tucking them to his chest and rested his chin there. His eyes followed the moonlight that flooded the room, watching the shadow his form casted until his eyes eventually drifted up to the moon.

It was full, and seemed to smile at him, reflecting the light of the morning star back to earth. The stars twinkled alongside it, dancing to the quiet song of the universe.

He remembered doing this, as a child, when there was nothing but innocence in his eyes. He would sit on the balcony of his room and just watch the sky for hours, trying to count the stars. Of course, he would never finish, he never could, but he was always happy to start over.

He did it when he felt loneliness creeping into the corners of his mind, which as a child, there was not much moments when he did. Now though, he found that the feeling intensified, it grew with him and never left his side. More so that he was actually alone.

"Do you sometimes feel that way?" Loki asked the moon quietly, lips barely moving and voice not even above a whisper. He sat, watching as it hung in the sky, leaving his question unanswered. She was always quiet, she never answered his questions, but that didn't mean Loki didn't ask.

For a long moment, Loki remained silent, staring at the moon, and it stared back in challenge. Though as the moments ticked by, he found his eyelids dipping down, as though compelled by spell. Perhaps he was more tired than he thought, but for reasons unknown to him, his eyes had not left the moon.

And then he felt it.

A sudden shift in the air around him, as though someone had placed him in a tightly sealed jar and shook it, hard. The feeling had Loki's eyes shooting open, and sitting ramrod straight. He unwrapped his arms from around his legs, and stood quickly, almost dizzying himself. His eyes hadn't left the moon, he pressed his palms against the glass, the feeling had not left him and he narrowed his eyes at it.

The moon seemed to glimmer for a few seconds, glowing an off purple colour.

Loki was certain that no one was seeing what he was, though he could have been wrong about that. The colour intensified, glowing brightly in the sky, and as quickly as it came, it left, leaving the moon looking no different that how it was before.

But the feeling had not left, and Loki thought, with his hands still pressed to the glass, his eyes still glued to the moon, something was not right.