08 | SOUL LIGHT

Before the chapter starts, welcome back everyone! I know it's early in the week for my posting schedule, but I've been away from writing so long, I just couldn't wait! This chapter took so long to write, anywho, I hope you all are being extra safe out there, with the virus and all.

Feedback is greatly appreciated :)

::

IN CENTER THE GARDEN OF THE GRAND PALACE, THE SUN GOD'S COUNSEL HAD GATHERED. The cloudless sky left the stars and the full moon shining at them, being their guiding light in the otherwise dark garden. They all stood in the neatly trimmed grass, some basking in the calming sound of the water rushing from the fountain as the awaited Sol's arrival. Many were apprehensive of this task, but they had no choice, for it was the Sun God's demand.

"This is madness." Garreth grumbled shaking his head. He couldn't believe that Sol was actually going to go through with this - such a desperate act. Whispers travelled around them, weaving through them slowly, like water would through rocks in a stream. "Absolute madness."

He turned to La'Jora who stood next to him, she glanced his way but offered no words. Everyone had expressed a certain level of anxiety towards this plan of hers, even Sonia and Samuel - who Sol trusts so much.

The thought of Sol left a sour taste in Garreth's mouth, the way he dismissed him at the gathering a day and a half ago still had him reeling. How dare he?

By all right, Garreth had more of a say in this counsel than anyone else, though he and La'Jora both stood on equal grounds on that matter. They had been apart of this council long before Sol was a thought in his parents' minds. He clenched a fist at his side, white knuckled, before he released a sigh and shook his head once more.

His predecessor, the previous Sun God had appointed them as guardians - so to speak - to ensure he did the right thing, always. How could he not have sensed the fault in La'Jora's plan? Why did he consider it in the first place was beyond Gareth.

He stared at La'Jora for a moment, trying to read her expression, a sneer lifted the corner of his mouth. She didn't seem too worried about the out come of this should it go awry.

"What is the matter, Garreth?" The woman asked calmly, turning her grey eyes to him, "You seem tense," Gareth chose to ignore her teasing tone, and turned away from her, glancing at the rest of the council members around them.

A chuckle left La'Jora, and she tilted her head in a curious manner, "You need not worry," A cold draft of wind blew by, twisting around them like a snake before moving on.

"I am not worried." Garreth huffed, he has never been worried about anything in his life. To say he was worried, was to say he was afraid. There was nothing to be afraid of. He had seen too many things in his life to be afraid of this - he and La'Jora both. They had seen war, they had gazed into the eyes of death itself and came out unscathed, they had been there at the Ascending. This was nothing - a child's fear.

"Whatever you say,"

A smirk lifted the corner of La'Jora's lips, and she glanced at him again from the corner of her eye. She shook her head at him, her short dark hair brushing her cheeks languidly and Garreth narrowed his eyes.

He sucked his teeth, refusing to entertain her any longer and instead, sought out the siblings. They stood secluded by the fountain's edge, away from the others. He walked towards them slowly, and he did not miss the way Samuel's eyes darkened at his approach and he scowled in return.