09 | EMERALD

Notes: It's been an age, how've you guys been? This chapter has been in the works for a long time, and that's why it took so long to be posted. I've written and rewritten it countless times and never really satisfied with the outcome, but this version turned out as planned to move the story forward. As of now, the chapters will be getting longer as I focus on Luna's development into the story as well as the ongoing plot. I hope you guys enjoy this, please review! Much love❤

::

IT WAS A RARITY TO HAVE A MOMENT'S PEACE OUTSIDE THE CONFINEMENTS OF LOKI'S CHAMBERS. The quietness of the halls was a tell tale sign of the Avengers' absence. He revelled in it, being able to explore the tower on his own accord without the prickle of watchful eyes raising the hairs on his skin, or the shadow of his brother looming over him in wait for his misstep.

He found the solitude calming, and a moment to just be, was a reprieve from cowering within the walls of his - and he's being honest - cell. He was glad for whatever tasteless tasks the Avengers' found themselves completing and he hoped they would stay truant for more than just the morning.

He was not alone in the tower, however, Luna was here, and he was certain that she had remained in her own chambers. And of course, Bruce, who was doing Odin knows what in that laboratory of his.

Thor had said, after a brief meeting with Nicholas Fury, that she would be here with him and Banner - who wasn't needed for their mission -  until they return. He was also told to mind his manners, and he didn't need to be. He had no intention of looking in the woman's direction, and was going to stay as far away from her as possible.

He didn't want to make a wrong move towards her, intentionally or otherwise.

He floated around mostly, from room to room with no real destination or intent to settle. He was a bit restless, to be honest, and couldn't seem to stay too still for too long. He chalked it up to being uncomfortable in the space that he was unaccustomed to but tried not to focus on it too much.

He stops at the entrance to the common area, his thoughts stuttering as he mulled them over in his head. Cool fingers curling into his palm as he surveyed the room as though looking for a trap waiting to spring upon his entrance.

Emerald eyes focused on the contents of the room, nodding to himself at the lack of unwanted surplus, Loki crossed it in five quick strides to sit in the plushness of the couch. He glanced around to the open area of the kitchen he never truly ventured and wondered if there was anything desirable in the contents that Stark had stocked. Loki sat back, and decidedly didn't move, and instead, conjured a book to read.

He quietly clicked the toes of his shoes together, -- something he'd do as a child when he found himself contented -- and ran his fingers deftly along the seam of the soft dark sweatpants he donned, grateful for his own magic and Midgard's impeccable style. They were more comfortable than his armor of metal and leather, that's for sure. He found it hard, though, to part with his tunic, the forest green one that he favoured; it was a part of home he wasn't yet ready to release.

It wasn't long before his peace was interrupted by the high ding of the elevator and the sound of voices. Bruce walked in, and trailing behind him, of course, was Luna.

It seemed he had gotten her to leave her confinements, but Loki paid them no mind, reading his book silently. He had noticed their brief pause to watch him, and much to his chagrin, Bruce began speaking to him.

"Good morning," He said in acknowledgement of his presence, and Loki considered him for a moment. He may be stubborn, -- sometimes too much for his own good -- but Loki of Asgard was not without manners.