𝘕𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳. (𝘒𝘢𝘤𝘦𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝)

The weather had gotten colder. 

     It was winter again, an early snow coming in late November. No one had expected the snow to come so soon, but the weather here had always been pretty unpredictable. 

      I always dreaded winter, and that was for 2 reasons. 

1) My plants

2) The four year anniversary of Moms death. 

     In a way, it had seemed fitting that her soul departed in the winter. She had hated the cold with a bitter passion, and had always called winter "The sleeping Season," because it was when all the plants and bugs slept. 

     She was so connected to the earth, that at times I would wonder if she herself were some sort of plant hybrid human. And just like the tulips she had in her prized flowerbed, when the snow came, she too fell into a deep, steady sleep. 

     Only unlike the tulips, she didn't wake in the spring. 

***

         Most of the time, I just try not to think about it. I've always been really good at not showing other people how I felt, but ever since meeting Xavier in the summer it had been a lot harder to pretend I was emotionless. 

        I sigh, putting my striped scarf on. 

I was in one of those bummed out moods today, winter was the hardest time of the year for me. Xavier had known since June that winter would bum me out, so today he was planning a surprise for me.

        "I'll show you that winter isn't all that bad" He had told me with bright eyes. He loved winter about as much as I hated it. Sometimes I don't know why I even hang out with him. I thought to myself with a huff. 

      I hear a loud knock on the door as I'm putting on my shoes. 

"Coming!" I yell unenthusiastically, still trying to figure out how to click the weird buckles on my boots. Its quiet for a moment, and I can hear the crunching of the snow beneath someones feet. Then he knocks again, much louder this time. 

       I roll my eyes. "Just come in, it's unlocked!" I shout exasperatedly. 

     I hear the door click open instantly, a rush of cold air flooding the house for a moment before he shuts it. I hear stomping as he knocks the snow off his boots, and from where I am I can see him shifting on his feet unsteadily, looking around for me. 

     "Kitchen." I mutter as the buckle finally clicks. 

      Its silent for a moment, then I can hear his feet shuffle. I stand up, just as he makes his way around the corner. He gives a toothy smile when he sees me, leaning against the doorframe. His eyes quickly skim me over, head to toe. He frowns.

     I brush a bit of my hair behind my ear, starting to turn red. I haven't got my hair cut since fall...I really need to take care of that.  

"What?" I say self consciously. It's the hair, isn't it. He's gonna say something about the hair. 

     He bites his lip slightly, something he always tends to do when he's thinking. Then his blue eyes flick back up to mine. I can already see him fighting back a smile. "Think you're warm enough?"  

        I look down at myself. I am wearing 3 turtleneck sweaters under my brown wool coat, and 2 pairs of pants. Not to mention my scarf, heavy duty mittens and fuzzy yellow beanie. I glare at him. "Yes I am, and what about it? You know that winter and I don't get along."