𝘖𝘭𝘥, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦. (𝘒𝘢𝘤𝘦'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝)

*TRIGGER WARNING FOR THIS CHAPTER: Mentions and details of bl**d. Please take care of your mental health!*

    The bike ride home was such a blur to Kace that he did not even notice the emptiness in his hands where his mothers headscarf had once been. All he felt was the cold metal and rubber bar of his bike handles biting against his tense fingers. 

     The wheels of his bike whirled and churned beneath him, protesting the speed he was going at. This bike had seen many many years of Kaces life, and wasn't exactly in optimal condition. He knew he was pushing it, but he didn't care. All he cared about was getting as far away from the blue eyed boy as he could.   

    He raced up the dock, and past the park where he and Xavier had met so long ago. Past the coffee shop, past his home, and far away from everything he's ever known. 

And then, when he finally got to the point where nothing was recognizable

He pedaled a little harder. 

***

     The orange haired boy didn't stop until he came along the side of a small creek. 

 Physically and emotionally exhausted, he finally stopped to rest. His legs were shaking even more than before, body weak from all the over exertion. 

     It was dark outside, a deep midnight blue throwing it's light and shadows across the forest. Kace could barely see his pale hands in the dim light between dusk and night. The awful in between, always either a midnight blue or drab grey. 

     As his breathing slowed, he finally tuned in to the symphony of life and sound around him. All he had heard before was his own heartbeat pounding away in his ears. Now, as it stilled, his ears were filled with the honey sweet sounds of  early summer. Cicadas and crickets cried out to the night, and the forest was humming with mosquitos. A small flash of yellow light filled the corner of Kaces eye, then disappeared before he could bother to turn around. 

      He slapped a mosquito on his arm. Fireflies? a little too early in season. 

Sighing deeply as the quivering rage simmered down, the boy sunk into the grass. His knees pressed into his ribcage uncomfortably, but he was too numb to move. He just needed to sit still, just for a second. 

He closed his eyes

He went somewhere warmer

***

Kace opened his eyes

It was snowing outside

He was peering out of Xaviers bedroom window, entwined in his long pale arms. 

Xaviers body was pressed against his back warmly, and Kace could feel his soft breath in his ear. He turned, slightly, to face Xavier. He only moved a little as not to startle him too quickly. 

"Xave, look, it's snowing" He said breathlessly as he stared into his wide face. Xaviers eyes peeked open, one at a time. He groaned something that sounded like a "hm?"  and Kace turned his head back and pointed to the window. Xavier pulled his body closer to him, resting his chin on top of Kaces head. "Look, it's snowing."