𝘛𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘱𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘨𝘢𝘮𝘦. (𝘟𝘢𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝)

*quick authors note: I am SO sorry the form of narration keeps changing in the chapters. I can't decide if I like first person or third person narration better, so just let me know which one you guys prefer. Sorry!! Thank you!!*

Xavier leans against the warm window pane as he watches the sun sink lazily behind the trees in the distance. He looks around his newly cleaned room with a sigh, realizing that spending so much time with Kace had begun to change his mannerisms after all.

He and Kace had been calling back and forth most of the day, mainly because it was time for spring cleaning. When it came to organization, Xavier had no idea where to start and Kace never knew how to stop.

His phone would ring

"hey, what's up?"

"Have you organized your sock drawer yet?"

"......."

"you haven't"

"How did you know?"

Kace chuckled from the other end of the phone "Because it's been half an hour and I still haven't gotten a call asking what to do next."

"you got me."

"start with the ones that match, then start pairing the single ones together."

"Okay"

"And make sure to sort all your underwear too." There was a light note of amusement to Kaces voice.

Xavier could feel his face burning in a deep red.

"right. I'll call you when I figure it out?"

"Okay." There was a smile in Kaces voice.

And it continued

His phone would ring again, a little while later

"Oh and I forgot to mention it but did you ever find that stray red sock?"

"Yes, I'm washing it right now" Xavier retorted crossly. He wasn't completely incompetent.

"Do you have any whites mixed in with the wash?"

Xaviers face went pale as a ghost.

"I'll be right back!!!"

Kace could hear the phone thump against the bed as the tall boy rushed away to go stop his laundry and retrieve the red sock. He heard a string of colorful cursing and tried to bite back a smirk as the sounds of wet feet slipping against the laundry room floor floated to his ears. Xavier came back to the phone, his breath sounding hot and embarrassed.

"How much soap did you add to the wash?"

"I think like....5 capfuls."

Kace's laughter was as bright as the rain.

"I told you...I'm not used to doing my own laundry alright?" Xave muttered grumpily, but he couldn't fight the smile forming on his lips. This was true, he had always relied on the dry cleaners until Kace had come along.

"Call me back when you've lassoed the bubble rodeo together, okay?" Kace said warmly.

Xavier would smile.

"Okay"

***

Now that the chores were done, and his room and house were as clean as they could be, Xavier decided that now he could finally relax. He leans back against the headboard of his bed, resting his eyes in the light of the warm setting sun. His work was complete. But he still had an itch to check his phone to see if Kace needed him.

Squeezing his eyes tighter, he reached for his phone hesitantly, then lowered his hand with a sigh. He had already video called earlier to confirm that his house was clean, there was no need to bug Kace any more than he already had that day. It would distract him from his cleaning.

Instead, Xavier rested a hand behind his neck, opting for a lazy mid evening nap instead. I'll call Kace tomorrow morning. He swallowed hard, his throat burning with questions. What if I'm bothering him? It's not like he's my boyfriend or anything. I care about him but...does he really owe me his time?

Xavier let out a quiet, exasperated groan. Sleeping was so much easier than thinking.

He rested for awhile, eyes closed but still wide awake. Just as he had begun to give in to the warmth of the sunlight, the bed began to vibrate. His blue eyes flew open instantly, and he immediately picked up his phone.

"Kace! I was just about to call yo-"

To his surprise, it was a quiet, wavering voice that greeted him.

"X.....Xavier?"

He couldn't hide the sinking disappointment as he realized it was not Kace at all.

"Yes, sorry this is Xavier speaking. Who is this?"

In his jumbled up thoughts he hadn't even thought to check the caller ID. As the soft voice continued to speak, he could feel his mind melting like the snow in spring. It was as if the ground he had spent so long getting a feeling for had suddenly been pulled out from underneath his feet.

He recognized that voice.

"It's me." The voice was sad and small, but it was full of determination.

He KNEW that voice

His hands clenched the phone so hard he was afraid it was going to burst, just like his pounding heart.

"Steph?"

________________________________________________________________________________