Chapter Ten

America narrowed his gaze at the nation, opening his bedroom door and slamming it shut in response to Hyung Soo. Hyung Soo smirked at the irritated gesture, nodding for two men to guard the door as previously done. He remained silent as he pulled out a cell phone and dialed the only number in the phonebook.

"Three days. See you then." 

Seventy-Two Hours Later

Canada gazed out at the shoreline of Ocean City, Maryland. What used to be visible beach hotels and buildings in the coastal region were nothing more than wreckage and debris. 

" While team A creates an airstrike diversion, teams c and d will take the boats to ocean city. There will be eagles waiting for you to safely escort you to downtown DC." instructed the navel captain.

A collective "Yes Sir," echoed on the navel ship's deck. As everyone prepared for the departure, Italy turned to his fellow countries and comrades and passed them all a blessed rosary necklace.

"I asked the pope for a favor. please accept these as tokens of protection." he nervously explained.

As they all put their necklaces on, others putting them in their vest pockets, they went on their way to the boats. As the boats swayed in the deep waves towards land, the sound of fighter jets echoed as they flew off the navel ships and headed towards the American shores, speeding past it. the boats speeded towards the beach shoreline and allowed multiple soldiers to hop out and carefully scope the area, whilst looking for these eagles that were waiting for them.

Sprinting down the roads, and through back alleyways, a couple of SUVs pulled up to the end of the alleyway startling some of the countries. Canada hovered his hand over his handgun but relaxed as he saw a guy wearing black cargo pants and a black long-sleeve shirt. His head snapped in both directions with his gun raised before he signaled for everyone to hurry to the vehicles in question.

Without hesitation, the vehicles sped off down their own separate roads so as to not be an easy target. The tunnel entrance into the city drew closer, making Canada more uneasy by the second. Was it because he was finally going to reach his brother somehow? or was it another type of threat?

It was the latter.

"Fuck!" cursed the driver.

Canada quickly blurted out, "Plow Through."

"C-Canada are you insane? those are human people!" stammered out Japan.

The driver complied and pressed the gas pedal, to Kiku's horror he watched as bodies rolled up onto the car or far off to the side. That's when the bullets started to fly at the car, somehow the tires didn't get hit but the back window had one bullet pierce through and graze the side of the passenger guy's cheek. 

"I wasn't expecting their troops to be there, how did they know to wait there?" nervously asked the guy in the passenger seat.

The driver remained silent for a moment before he exhaled softly, "I'm sure they've been keeping tabs on us closely."

With the realization that there could be more gunfire waiting for them wherever they go, one thing was certain no matter what it takes, Canada would make it to his brother. 

After an hour of passing by and going through backroads, they finally reached the city limits of Washington, DC.  The vast majority of abandoned vehicles and someone still on fire with the drivers' bodies remaining lifeless in slouched positions presented a horrific realization to the countries in the vehicles. 

The driver pulls next to an abandoned factory and speaks up bluntly, "This is as far as we can take you. God Speed." 

Canada nodded in response as Japan and England quickly step out as well and get to a safer spot to wait for the others. Canada pulled out his binoculars and zoomed in towards a familiar building that was no longer the pristine white it used to be. Possibly twin intuition, but he could still feel that somehow, America was still alive.