Chapter 6: At The Hotel

The sky grew darker as Brian continued to drive the limo, avoiding the more populated streets. He knew that there would be another crowd waiting for them at the hotel, but he didn't care about that right now.

Right now, the thing that was on everybody's mind was Ringo. 

George looked down at the drummer, who was burying his head in his chest, eyes closed as tears slowly fell from them. 

Paul looked through the car window, trying to clear his mind. John just looked down, not knowing what to think about.

Ringo looked up at George, placing a hand in his hair. His blue eyes sparkled with tears as they stared into George's brown ones.

They both lost the track of time.

It was only when the limo stopped in a parking lot that the voices of newscasters and fans caught their attention.

"Boys, we need to get out now," Brian told them.

Taking a deep breath, Ringo opened the car door and stepped out, George immediately following him. John and Paul got out the other side. 

"Do you have an update on Ringo's condition, sir?"

"Ringo!"

"Sir, sir, will an announcement be made about this incident?"

The Beatles, Mal, Neil, and Brian all ignored the crowd's questions.

"They will be making an announcement tomorrow. No questions shall be answered at this time," Brian said loudly.

"I'll explain once we're inside," he told The Beatles, who were all confused at his statement about an announcement.

The flashing of the cameras made Ringo uncomfortable, even though George once again tried to shield him from the crowd's view. He knew that his scar was visible.

It was only when he made it into the hotel that he felt safe.

"Here," Brian said, giving John a room key.

"Ya remember the room number?"

"Room number 265, yes?"

"Yes," Brian said in response.

"Now, I have scheduled for you four to make an announcement tomorrow at noon," Brian told the four of them.

"I'm sorry, but I'm sure that the public would go crazy if they didn't know about Ringo's condition. Speaking of which... how is he?" His voice became soft at the end. He, Mal, and Neil all looked at the group.

"George, you wanna tell em?" John asked.

"I s-suppose I have t-to, don't I?" The young guitarist stated. He took a deep breath.

"W-well, t-the bullet... t-tore through h-his vocal cords," Ringo looked away from his manager as George continued, "t-the nurse s-said that... he'll n-never be able t-to speak again..."

Brian's eyes went wide as he stared at the guitarist. Mal and Neil looked at each other in shock.

"He... w-won't be able t-to speak again?" The manager asked.

"I... I'm sorry... T-they tried everything, but the bullet w-was so b-big that they w-weren't able to s-salvage anything," George said quietly, hoping that the lady at the front desk did not hear them.

"I... R-Ringo..." Brian said as the drummer turned towards him.

"We've been through enough today Brian. I think w-we all need time alone," Paul stated.