Chapter 16: Realization

John handed the letter back to Brian, keeping his gaze on the carpeted floor in the process.

"U-um... What are we going to do?" Paul asked, glancing over at Brian.

Brian was silent for a moment, thinking of a response.

"Well... I s-suppose that letting the public know a-about this would help..."

George tensed.

"But if he was able to hide in plain sight so far... T-then how..."

"You know..." John started, " I thought that something strange was goin' on at that park. Just the fact that he was standing just a few feet from us the whole time..."

"W-we're not safe here."

Everyone looked over at Paul, who was shaking.

"He knows that we're here. Brian... I think it's about time we g-go somewhere else..."

Brian was taken aback by Paul's statement, but nodded in agreement.

"O-of course... Perhaps another city... Anyway, I say with with care, but I don't want any of you goin' out on your own..."

Brian's gaze landed on Ringo.

"E-especially you, Ringo..."

Ringo nodded.

"Um... I'll have to get Mal and Neil and... After all is said and done... We can leave."

Brian sighed, slowly walking back to the door.

"I'll check you all sometime later, alright?"

"Alright..." John replied.

Without another word, Brian closed the door, head hung low from the guilt he felt over the whole ordeal.

Paul walked up to the door and locked it.

"S-so..." George said, getting up from the bed, "what are we g-gonna do?"

John sighed.

"I suppose that we could just go back to sleep..."

"Nice suggestion John, but," Paul stated, walking up to John and George, " I don't think I can go back to bed after that..."

"I don't think I can either..." George said, looking at the ground.

Ringo, shaking, got off of the bed and stood up. The other three musicians stared at him, minds reeling at what they had just learned.

At this point, Ringo didn't even bother trying to speak. He knew all to well about what would happen if he did take the chance. He could only stare at the three Beatles in turn, and they did the same to him as well.

For a moment, it was dead silent in the hotel room.

"W-well lads..." John said eventually, gaze shifting to Paul and George, "should we just see what's on the Telly to past the time?"

Slowly, Paul and George nodded.

Ringo nodded as well, turning around to go back to the bed. Once he got on the bed, he stared at the blinds to make sure that they were shut. The last thing he wanted to do now was to have anyone from the outside world look at him.

He didn't react when George laid beside him, nor did he do anything when the television was turned on.

News.

Luckily, Ringo's story wasn't being broadcasted, but he knew that, once Brian had made the details of the letter known to the public, it would only be broadcasted again.

He wondered how the fans would feel about it.

They were certainly saddened and enraged by what has happened already, Ringo thought, but once they knew who was behind it, they would try everything in their power to find him.

Harold Refay.

Upon thinking about that name, Ringo shivered.

He had no idea who he was, nor did he know why Harold had such a grudge against him and his friends. But now, Ringo knew that he could do so much as go for a walk alone without feeling safe again.

At the worst of times, all Ringo had to worry about was a crazy fan girl chasing him down the street. 

But now, his very life was at risk.

And so were...

Ringo looked over at George, Paul, and John.

They would suffer from this as well, and there was nothing he could do to stop it.

Nothing, unless getting Harold apprehended.

But, how easy would it be?

According to that letter, Harold had already taken precautions to hide himself from the public, and if he was able to get within a couple hundred feet from Ringo twice, what's stopping him from doing it again.

And he was just feet away from John and Paul at the park. Why hadn't he taken the chance to kidnap the pair when he had?

Ringo was thankful that John and Paul were alright, but the question nagged at him.

Would it have been too much of a hassle? Probably.

Ringo sighed, turning away from George and staring at the blinds that shielded him from the outside world.

What if he was out there right now, looking up at their window?

Ringo pushed the thought out of his head, instead thinking of the future.

He would still have his friends by his side, but they were in a pretty big world, and Harold could be anywhere.