Three

Three:: Paisley

 “Let's pretend we never met, A good excuse to play forget          Let's pretend you never lied, So I can give it up all night
Swallow my pride, and learn to forgive”

Tinashe ft Asap Rocky-Pretend

       Work was going slow today, but I wasn’t complaining. I had the Xx album playing through the store as I sat behind the register, reading a murder mystery. It was calming inside compared to the loud wind rustling about the October air.

       Last night ended up being a calm night as well after I calmed down. I received a call from Blaize who was now in Wyoming, enjoying the rain, with a young college woman who loved being curled up with him just as much as he did.

          I had a fall scented candle burning and the few customers who had come in had all mentioned they enjoyed the scent. I had to agree, and I smiled as the characters were finally tying up the loose ends I had already figured out. I was after all going to study exactly what my mum did this year, and further myself into the world of medicine should I not like what I’m studying now. Although I loved when my mother would email me case files of cases her tired mind could no longer piece together I wasn’t positive if it was what I wanted to do. Just as I was about to put in the next of the XX cd’s the front door bell rang, alerting me that I had customers. I finished my task at hand finally sitting back down when I heard the familiar voices.

       “Ryan all I’m saying is maybe we should do more stuff just us. I mean we are always in groups until we get home. Well to one of our homes.” Emily’s voice mumbled quietly though I could still hear her.

       “Em, I know it’s just sometimes I feel like we fight less in crowds and I hate fighting with you.”

       “Ry I know you hate fighting but we can’t not talk about anything because you’re scared it’s gonna end in a fight.”

“I’m not talking about this anymore until we are no longer in public.” Ryan ended the small dispute and I could hear his Vans clad feet making their way across the hardwood floors and Emily’s wedges slugging after.

       Afar seconds later the store phone rang;

“Lori’s music and books, this is Paisley how may I help you?”

       I listened intently to the customer asking about our collection of Jane Austin books.

“I will be sure to set aside Pride and Prejudice for you ma’am. Come get it anytime you need. You have a nice day.” I hung up the phone and I knew I had the couple’s attention as I shuffled to the classic literature section. My eyes shifted through till I gripped the requested book making my way back to my bar stool.