Chapter 21

It was disappointing and so heartbreaking to see Dinah before my eyes, in the picture. A long forgotten school enemy back in my life again. What a misfortune? What exactly does she want? She made me a thief in Swabir's eyes and even many more eyes I didn't know. Enough of all these! Enough! went a voice in my head.

" You know her?"mouthed Rayyan inquisitively.

"Oh yes,"I jumped outta my thoughts, "she was my classmate back then in school." I was not just peeved but also confused. Why can't people mind thier own businesses? Why center your mind on hurting someone, someone who have erased you in her memory?

"It's alright, I'll handle everything," he was concise yet not vexed. Taking things calmly was his pattern, how gentle! I had been gentle with Dinah that is why hitherto she still try me.

"No Ray, I think I can do this one."
"Zarah she appeared to be dangerous, let me handle this."
"She is but I know her better. Let me do this."
"It might be a girly thing but I still say no. Enough of the argument, let's even have dinner out in five," he offered a treat which I dare not reject for Maryam could skin me alive.

I watched him stride to his room. What a gentleman he was, a simple one in fact. With a fair innocent face which contained a sharp nose and cute lips. With full and nicely shaped brows as if carved. A tall masculine figure with a righteous pumping heart. A brother and a defender, a corrector and mentor.

"Get up and dress fast."I more like commanded Maryam who I met reading a Hadith collection in my room.
"Where are we going Zaza?"she enquired still focused on the book. Maryam might be jovial but truly a fast learner. She was determined and focused on her studies, even though she might later jump around and tease people.

"For dinner with Rayyan."
"Oh really,"she jumped in merriment.
I nodded and made to my closet, trying to figure out what to wear. I later got a wine hued jumpsuit with a pink furry jacket for the weather was cold and mainly for enough modesty in dressing. I took out a turban and wrapped my hair then topped it with a pink hijab. There is no need to explain how cold secretly sneaks into one's ear and cause issues, the turban was my armour and the hijab an extra shield. Climbing into my wine wedge hills, I noticed Maryam had been standing before her wardrobe all that while.

"Not again Maryam, just choose one outfit. You know Rayyan is always on time."
"Zaza let me think,"she stared intensely at the clothes as if trying to figure out which one to give out.

"Lady you are not going for modelling interview niether are you going on a date, why not make it snappy?"
She kept mum, still staring at her wearing apparels.

"You know your man is waiting for us right?" I said to capture her attention. She loves it when Rayyan is called that. She gave me an undefined look and picked a simple red ankara gown.
"So when are you going to propose to him?"I questioned applying some light makeup.
"Shut up, that's so ungirly. He will be the one to propose and not me."
"Are you really waiting for that day?"I turned to her.
"Yes, when he proposes to me, before you could say Zarah Idris, I would have said twenty yeses."
I laughed and laughed before she closed the chapter. She pretended all she said was a joke but I knew it wasn't. She had loved Rayyan since childhood but she kept hiding it from me and him. I prayed in my heart that he would one day propose to her so she could feel great.

We left for the restaurant after mother's little lecture titled 'come back early'. "Welcome sir,"said the receptionist which made me thought me and Maryam were invisible.
"Welcome ma'am,"came my own share, guess I was a little impatient.

"I already made reservation for three,"Rayyan explained.
She checked a list and then said,"please follow me."
We soon arrived at a quite varender, fully decorated with burning candles and flowers. A table was set with three chair around it. At another side of the beautiful place stood five waiters behind different dishes. It immediately dawned on me that it was a buffet. The excitement on my face was okay but that on Maryam's face cannot be explained at all, not even by a psychologist.

We sat and began discussion random issues while having our appetizer.
"Thank you so much brother,"said Maryam.
"For?"he spoke after swallowing the food in his mouth.
"For all of this,"she answered him.
"Maryama stop thanking me, I am your brother and for that, anything for you, both of you."
I smiled before we served the main dish.

Rayyan stood sharply and excused himself when his phone rang. He moved to a corner and talked for a long time. Maryam occasionally stared at him with a jealous expression.
"Could it be that he is talking to a lady?"she questioned me.
"How can I know? He has cousins and aunts, his mom is also a female. But you can enquire from him for more information,"I laughed as I answered. She sighed and managed to force some more spoons into her mouth.

"That was my dad,"stated Rayyan, "he summons me to the palace tomorrow."
"Okay,"we chorused.
"Hope all is well,"I enquired.
"Yeah,"came back his reply.

"Hello!"I answered a call from an unknown number while Rayyan was footing the bill.
"Zara please come to the General hospital now, please Zarah" a voice wailed in between sobs. I stood on my feet trembling,"who is this? What happened?"

"Zarah it's me Balqis, Dinah's friend. Please come to the emergency ward now, please I beg you."
"What happened to you? Are you okay?"all I could here was sob from the other end. I soon became terrified and scared. The caller hung up, leaving me socked in horror.
"Let's go to the general hospital Rayyan."
" What is going on?"he spoke.
"I don't have any idea, just got call from Dinah's friend. Let's just go."

He drove fast but careful. I soon saw myself in the emergency room full of bleeding and wailing patients. A tear rolled down my eyes noticing how blessed I was to be healthy. Alhamdulilah. Doctors and nurses went up and down the ward while the cleaners take care of any blood spill on the floor.

"Glad you came, come." Balqis's hand dragged me to a room where Dinah lied indisposed, wrapped in bandage. One could understand she went through alot from a look. Maryam burst into a painful cry and rushed out of the room. She had a soft heart.

"Za..rah,"called Dinah in pain. She no more call me a thing or filthy. Tears continously rolled down her cheeks. I moved closer and held her hand which I immediately released when she signified it was painful. I sat beside her and wondered how a pretty girl like Dinah could look that pale and swollen, how a strong lady like that could be so weak and helpless.

"What happened to her?" I asked Balqis who had been wiping tears.
"She had an accident two days ago and got three fractures, sprains and cuts. She had been calling your name since she regained consciousness."

"I sent thieves to Swabir and ..."I placed my palm on her mouth but she managed to take it away.
"Let me confess Zarah, I did that to you all because... you always have what I want. In school, you ... got everyone's attention and took my award. For that... I hated you and now I hope you will forgive me."she merged her hands. I couldn't control my tears anymore so they began to flow.

"I was angry with you sometime ago but not anymore. Do you know that you are a wonderful person? You are super intelligent, I was just lucky to get that award. I copied your
reading pattern and became successful. You might have done something wrong but you are now a legend since you have repented," I said.

"Thank you Zarah, you made me feel better."she forced a smile on her face which proved her beauty. She looked calm and lovely. For the first time, I felt I wanted to be with her forever. I wanted to spend alot of time with her. I never knew she could be that awesome. We left her after she fell asleep. Rayyan had called mother while in the hospital so she didn't ask us when we got home. I changed into pajamas and went to bed.

"Zarah wake up, it's time for prayer,"a soft voice called. I immediately rose and performed ablution before praying. My phone kept on ringing while I prayed. I took my phone to check the caller when I was done praying. The number called again before I could call back.
"WHAT!"my legs couldn't support me anymore. My body froze before falling down. What I heard was terrifying and heartbreaking.

Hello my lovely readers.
I hope you are all fine. Share what you think happened. Inform me if you enjoyed the chapter. Keep supporting.