For Yesterday

Nicole tugged at the arm of her grumpy girlfriend until she obliged and got up, leaving the warm comfort of her bed behind. She almost tripped on the dirty uniform piled on the floor that the red head had just changed out of.

"It's 5 AM, I just want to sleep!" Waverly grunted as Nicole led her out of the bedroom, onto the landing. She swatted away Nicole's first attempt to cover her eyes but the taller woman insisted and put her hand across her face, blocking her vision. "What are we doing? I'm going to fall down the stairs and Wynonna will kill you for it."

Nicole just giggled quietly to herself and carefully guided the blinded Waverly down the staircase, step by step. "Alright last one... there, we did it!"

She turned her into the living room. "Okay, are you ready?" Waverly nodded and Nicole pulled her hand away. "Happy birthday, baby!"

The room was decorated beautifully. A happy birthday banner hung about the mantle and a dozen or so balloons floated around the room. On the coffee table sat a homemade vegan cake, baked and decorated by Nicole herself, and beside it was a stack of neatly wrapped gifts. Waverly teared up.

"When did you do all this?"

"Just in the last couple hours since I got home. I'm really sorry I had to work all through your birthday, Waves. But I'm hoping this can make up for yesterday." She looked to her girlfriend. Waverly threw herself at her and planted a sloppy kiss on Nicole's chin; she was too lazy to reach her lips. "Which present do you wanna open first?" She gestured to the table. Waverly smiled. She pulled at the loose pyjama top Nicole was wearing.

"This one," she said as she pulled her girlfriend close.

***

a/n: it's my birthday