How You Get The Girl

Credit, once again, to my favourite, Taylor Swift, for the inspo behind this oneshot. This time from the song How You Get The Girl

***

It was the worst rain storm Purgatory had seen in years. Water pouring down constant and hard from the sky of dark grey clouds. But Waverly wouldn't let this stop her. She'd already waisted 6 months.

She walked up the front steps and knocked on the door, shaking from the cold of the rain soaking through her clothes. The wind had long since destroyed her umbrella. The wooden porch quickly darkened from all the water dripping off of the short brunette as she stood waiting.

The door opened revealing a confused, tall redheaded woman. Her mouth fell open a little at the sight of Waverly.

"Are you insane? What are you doing out in this storm?" Nicole questioned as she looked her up and down. Waverly shrugged.

"I had to see you," she finally admitted. Nicole held back an eye roll. "And talk to you."

"It's been 6 months, Waverly. Couldn't whatever bullshit you've got to say wait for another day?"

"Please can you just hear me out? I swear I'll leave you alone after that, if it's what you want," she pleaded through shivers. Nicole sighed loudly and stepped back.

"Well, I can't exactly leave you out there to freeze to death or drown. So fine, come in." Waverly smiled and walked inside, making sure she didn't go to far in. Her clothes and hair continued to drip, making a mess on the floor.

"Sorry."

"Stay there, I'll get some towels."

Nicole walked off to a closet and returned with four towels. She spread two out on floor. After putting down her bag,Waverly peeled off her soaked jacket it and kicked off her shoes, leaving these on the towels. With a third towel she dried her hair enough that it wouldn't drip anymore. Once she was done, Nicole wrapped the third one around her shoulders. "Come sit." She grabbed her bag again before following her.

They sat down at the dining table and waited for one another to start talking first until Waverly finally realised that it was all on her.

"I shouldn't have left. I was just too afraid to admit what I wanted. What I still want. Which is you. Everything was just moving so fast and it scared me."

"So I'm supposed to just let you in again? To what, break my heart again and again every time our relationship gets a little more serious?" Nicole spoke through gritted teeth, "because you're scared?!"

"No. I want this now. No more backing out. I want you for worse or for better. This time I won't leave no matter how scared I get because I know I'll have you to protect me. I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner." She held out a hand to Nicole but the other woman was still hesitant.

"What if this isn't what I want any more?"

"Maybe you just need some reminders of how it used to be... I got you something." Waverly pulled a photo frame from her bag and turned it over for Nicole to see.

It was a photo of them, from months ago. In the photo was a smiling Nicole with a cheery Waverly kissing one of her dimpled cheeks. Nicole couldn't help but smile. She took the photo and laid it on the table.

"I was crazy... stupid to leave you without even telling you why. But I'm here now and I'll wait forever and ever if that's how long it takes for you to be ready for me again." Waverly put a hand over one of Nicole's and looked into her eyes. Those familiar brown eyes were filled with worry and sadness and Waverly's heart sank, knowing she'd done that. Nicole cleared her throat.

"Waves... I don't know if I can risk putting myself through that kind of heartbreak again. I cried for weeks and weeks. I almost quit my job just so I wouldn't have to see your sister in the office! It was hell for me."

"I'm sorry I put you through that. I guess I'll leave now..." Waverly started to stand, pulling her hand back but Nicole grabbed her wrist. Her hand was warm on Waverly's cold skin, and the action of Nicole touching her set her body on fire. "It's okay. I get why you don't want this anymore."

"I do want this! God, Waverly, this is all I've ever fucking wanted!" Nicole didn't know she was going to raise her voice so loud, but she couldn't stop it now. "Just no more of the bullshit, okay? You have to promise me that when you're feeling scared or whatever else that you come to me! You have to face problems with your partner not leave the minute things get hard. Can you promise me that?" Waverly nodded and took a step closer.

"Of course. I promise I'll stay."

"Good. Now kiss me, you fucking idiot!"

Nicole tugged roughly at the wrist in her hand and Waverly came closer and closer until their bodies pressed together. Nicole's hand found her face and tilted her chin back, pressing her lips to Waverly's. She shivered from Waverly's cold touch as a pair of hands settled on the back of her neck, pulling her deeper into the kiss.