White Christmas

"Waves, wake up."

Nicole gently shook her wife's arm through the many layers of blankets she was tightly tucked under. It was the dead of night but the young redhead was wide awake and excited. Somewhere under the covers, Waverly grunted. "Waverly, wake up, babe! It's snowing!" Waverly rolled over and her face appeared. She looked pissed off at first but nothing stop her face from softening at the sight of her love, Nicole Haught.

"It's still dark! What's wrong?"

"We have to go outside; it's snowing!"

"Nic, I love you, but it's been snowing for weeks."

"I know, but it's Christmas now! We have to go out, please," said Nicole, with child like excitement twinkling in her eyes. Waverly sighed and sat up in bed.

"Oh, okay. Get dressed first or you'll freeze to death."

Nicole set about pulling on boots, a sweater and a thick, long coat over her pyjamas. From over at their closet she tossed a coat over to Waverly, who was sadly parting with her pile of blankets. She slipped into the coat and buttoned it up to her neck, then put on her snow boots.

"Here you go, sweetie, I can't find yours," Nicole spoke softly as she pulled her own navy blue beanie, emblazoned with the Purgatory Sheriff department logo, onto wife's head. Waverly smiled up at her sleepily and then moved to grab a blanket for the bed.

With the blanket wrapped around her and Nicole leading the way, Waverly went downstairs and out the front door into the snow which was level with the porch. The snow sparkled in the light shed from the Christmas lights that were strung up all over the house.

A squeal of excitement escaped Nicole's frozen lips and she half-stepped half-jumped off the porch and into the snow. She giggled as her feet sunk into the snow until she was knee deep in it. She let herself fall back which left a Nicole-shaped hole in the white powder as she sank out of sight.

"Nicole!"

Waverly dropped her blanket and clambered into the snow to find her wife. "You're such a dork," she laughed as reached her, "sit up before you get buried." Nicole did as she was told and sat up. Her red hair was sprinkled with snowflakes; she looked like a princess.

"Merry Christmas, Waves."

"Merry Christmas, Nicole."

Nicole pulled her wife closer, going in for a kiss until something icy cold collided with the back of her head. She turned to see where the snowball came from. Wynonna was standing on the edge of the porch, her Christmas pjs that matched Waverly and Nicole's peaked out from beneath her long coat. She laughed evilly.

"Merry Christmas, mother fuckers!"

A snowball fight broke out between the trio. It began as two against one until Nicole dared to lob one at her wife's face.

"You're gonna regret that, Haught!" Waverly scooped up more snow inside her hand and ran at Nicole. She took her chance, while the redhead was focused on Wynonna, and leapt on Nicole's back. Waverly used warm arm to stay up and the other to shove snow inside the front of her wife's pyjamas. Nicole screeched and Waverly hopped off. Wynonna took the opportunity to fling countless snowballs at Nicole as she tried to shake the icy cold powder out from her clothes.

Now it was the sisters against Nicole and they drove her to surrender, too uncomfortable with the wetness of her clothes.

Back inside the house, Wynonna got a fire going, Waverly put the kettle on and Nicole changed into dry clothes. There was still no sign of the sun but the temptation of the neatly wrapped presents under the sparkling tree was too strong to go back to bed for a few more hours.

While the three women were huddled by the fire waiting, mugs of hot chocolate in their hands, footsteps on the stairs told them that the other two members of the household had awoken now.

A sleepy Mercedes came into view dragged by the tiny ball of excitement that was Alice. They too wore the same Christmas pyjamas as the others. Alice bounded into her mum's lap for a hug.

"Merry Christmas, mummy!" Alice squealed. Her eyes kept darting to the presents under the tree and her stocking hung on the mantle. "Is it time for presents?" Wynonna nodded and the two of them stood up to get the stocking down. The 5 year old sat on the floor with it and her hand dived inside.

Mercedes wrapped her arms around Wynonna's waist from behind and kissed her shoulder then her cheek.

"Merry Christmas, Mer."

"Merry Christmas, my love."