Three Summers Back

Hello. I've been working on this oneshot a little for about a week, but wrote most of it last night when I couldn't sleep. It's inspired by the song Tim McGraw by Taylor Swift (who else?).

Anyway so this oneshot is brought to you by Taylor Swift and my terrible sleep schedule.

I actually really like this one. Enjoy.

***

Waverly feels her eyes well up. She's been cleaning her room out, thoroughly, for the past day and a half. This clean out has resulted in finding many long forgotten bits and pieces, like the letter she just found in a box beneath her bed. A letter she never sent. It contains a million memories from a few summers back, from a summer love that fell to the ground with the leaves that autumn.

The breeze cools their sun kissed skin as they approach the edge of the lake. The tall redhead sways, with the weight of the girl on her back finally becoming a little too much. She straightens up and let's Waverly down, releasing the grip on her thighs. The brunette slips down with a giggle and a messy kiss to Nicole's cheek.

"Aunt Gus is gonna kill me for being out this late," she says, almost proudly, as she watches Nicole settle on the grass. Nicole laughs.

"Waves, it's barely 5 o'clock. You're sixteen, shouldn't you be allowed to stay out and have fun? It's not like you've got school to worry about." Waverly nods and sits down beside Nicole.

"Thursdays are for family dinner and I was supposed to wash Curtis's truck today," Waverly explains, trying not to feel guilty. But she's a natural rule follower so it still eats away at her a little. She shrugs, like it's nothing, as Nicole's mouth falls open just a little.

"I could've helped with that, and maybe even gotten a dinner invite." Nicole looks to see Waverly's reaction but Waverly won't meet her eyes. "I can't believe you still haven't told them about me. It's been a month!"

"I'm the baby of the family, they won't approve of anyone. And..."

"And what?" Nicole pokes her arm until Waverly leans against her and continues.

"And you're older." The brunette pulls at a long blade of grass until it snaps free then she starts tearing it to bits.

"Less than two years, that's nothing."

"You go to college!"

"Waves, are you uncomfortable being with me? Because I don't want you to be."

"It's not that. I love being with you. And I like having you all to myself... like a whole different world that's just you and me."

"Okay, okay," Nicole gives in and kisses Waverly on the cheek before laying on her back. Waverly leans back and rests her head on Nicole's chest. She smiles at the familiar feeling of her girlfriend's hand running through her hair. The grass is prickly under their backs but it doesn't bother them too much. Another breeze blows by.

Waverly debates ripping the letter to pieces after she reads it over but she can't bring herself to do it. She folds it back up with a sigh, slipping it back inside the yellowing envelope and puts it up on her dresser. She doesn't let her mind wander to it until she finishes her clean out, has dinner and returns to her room for the night.

She holds it again, laying on her bed and thinks back to that summer.

"It's not that deep, come on."