How You Get The Girl (part 2)

This part 2 is set about 6 months after the first.

***

"Hey, baby!"

Waverly shut the front door behind her and grinned at Nicole. Nicole was in nothing but a white button up and underwear, reading a book on her couch. "Hi, Nicole."

"How was work?" The redhead put her book down and watched Waverly pull her coat off and hang it on a hook by Nicole's. Waverly huffed at the question and shrugged. "That bad, huh?"

"It wasn't bad I just... I don't really wanna talk about it," she said, sitting by Nicole on the couch. "Is that okay?"

"Of course, baby." She rested a hand on Waverly's shoulder and leaned forward to kiss her cheek. Waverly dropped a hand onto her knee.

"How was your day off? Did you even put pants on?" she asked with a smile, running her hand higher up Nicole's bare leg. Nicole shook her head. "You should dress like this more often," she said with a giggle, then kissed her girlfriend on the lips and stood back up. "I'm gonna start on dinner."

"Speaking of dinner, you have that family dinner on Friday right? When Gus is in town?"

"Mhmm." Waverly listened from the kitchen, where she could still see Nicole from behind the couch.

"Am I invited?"

Waverly hesitated, trying to find the right words. "I... it's just that... I don't know. That's kind of a big step."

"It's just Gus and Wynonna."

"But they're all I have, so it would be my version of meet-the-parents."

"And?" She sat up straighter so she could follow Waverly with her eyes as she moved around the kitchen. She watched as she put a pot down on the stove and turned around with fire in her eyes.

"And that's a big step!"

"Might I remind you that I've met Wynonna many times. And we dated for 5 months, broke up, and have been back together for another 6? That's almost a year!"

"That doesn't count... it's just been 6 months," her voice is muffled this time as she fetched a few things from the pantry.

"Doesn't count?" Nicole repeated loudly. Waverly returned and plopped the armful of cans down on the counter. She looked over sadly at Nicole's angered face.

"I didn't mean that."

"Yes, you did! You're still scared to let this be a serious relationship!"

"I am not! I have keys to your place, don't I?" She gestured to the entryway. "I have a drawer full of clothes in your room." Nicole scoffed.

"But those are still small things!" She threw back. Waverly frowned and walked back over, stopping right behind the couch. "You've not put down roots with me, because you want to be ready to run at any moment," Nicole finished, quieter now. Waverly touched her hand.

"Maybe I am still scared. Everything good I've ever had in life has gone away... I don't want the same to happen with you..." she trailed off into a mumble. Nicole grabbed her arms and tugged her forward. She stumbled as she was pulled until she was over the back of the couch and crashing onto Nicole's lap. "Ouch."

"I'm not going anywhere, Waves. You couldn't get rid of me if you tried," Nicole spoke firmly as she wrapped Waverly in her arms. She brushed her hands through long brown hair back, tucking strands behind Waverly's ears. "I love you."

"I love you too. I'm sorry," she said with a shaky breath. "Come to the dinner." She brushed a hand along Nicole's cheek. "Gus is gonna love you."

"And Wynonna will threaten to use her shotgun on me," Nicole added with a laugh. Waverly leaned closer so she could rest her head against Nicole's chest. She listened to the heartbeat inside pick up for a moment and return to normal. She felt a pair of lips press against the top of her head and sighed.

Waverly looked up again so Nicole could kiss her on the lips this time. Her hands warm on her lower back, while her own hands were tangled in locks of red hair.