Heartbroken

Today is the day, Waverly thought. The day she would finally tell Nicole Haught how she felt about her.

She had it all planned out in her head. She would go into the station right around 6pm when Nicole always finished on a Friday. She was always hanging around there with Wynonna and had taken to paying attention to Nicole's comings and goings. She'd get talking and just tell her, then maybe they'd go to Shorty's together.

She picked out the perfect dress for the occasion, a blue one that was nice enough but not too fancy. For once, she left her hair completely down. Waverly chose a red lipstick, applied it carefully and headed for the station.

It was quiet when she got there. The only other officer she knew would be there was at the front desk. The lights were dim and she could see that even Sheriff Nedley must be out. She made her way through towards one of the back offices she knew Nicole liked to work in.

The door was shut and the light was dimmed. With a hand on the door knob she peered through window and saw Nicole was not alone. She was on the desk with someone under her, kissing them in a way Waverly had imagined happening to herself countless times. In the moment of shock she opened the door without meaning to and by the time she realised what she was doing it was too late.

The scene painted itself before her as her eyes adjusted to the darkness. Nicole was shirtless. Her knees and one elbow kept her propped up on the desk over her mysterious lover. One hand pleasing the writhing woman below her. Her long red hair was a mess of tangles and, as she turned her head a little, some was visibly stuck to her head with sweat. The woman's top was on but completely unbuttoned and her naked legs were loosely wrapped up around Nicole's waist. Long brown hair cascaded down over the edge of the desk. Nicole sat up as she noticed they had company and the woman's face fell back from where it had been buried in Nicole's chest. Waverly's heart shattered as their eyes met.

"Wynonna?"

"Well, this is awkward," her sister mumbled as she pulled her shirt closed, putting a couple buttons through the wrong holes.

"Is that all you have to say? How could you do this to me? I thought you knew how I feel about her! You always ruin everything, Wynonna!" Waverly yelled as she felt her eyes begin to burn. She didn't give Wynonna a chance to respond, she just stormed out before they could see her crying.

She ran until she was outside in the cool night air. She felt dizzy as she looked around trying to remember where she'd parked her car. She gave up, sat down on the ground and put her head in her hands.

Sobs shook her body a until few minutes later, she heard somebody come out, walk over and sit beside her. She blinked back the tears and sniffed loudly.

"Just go away, Wynonna."

"It's not Wynonna," a soft, sweet voice said from beside her. "It's Nicole."

"Oh."

"I'm really sorry, Waverly."

"You don't need to be. You're free to have sex with whoever you want." Waverly couldn't bare to look at her so she just stared at the ground.

"I'm still sorry."

"I hope you two are happy together."

"Waverly, look at me, please." Waverly shook her head. "Please, Waves." Waverly lifted her head and wiped her eyes. "I don't want to be with Wynonna, honestly."

"Well you have a funny way of showing it." Nicole let out an airy laugh. Waverly continued, "What was that then?"

"It was nothing. It was just sex."