CHAPTER 15

"What's with the double the loot?" Pirate inquired.

There was a heavy bag of valuables on the table.

"Black Beast dropped it by, half an hour ago," Blue Volt replied. "He said that it would be enough to compensate for two days."

"So, he won't be returning to the base for two days? But we will be having one of our final meetings for the next big burglary tomorrow. That moron, he is not in his right mind these days."

Pirate's sullen expression made it clear that he was pissed off.

"He is an expert anyways. I think he will manage." Blue Volt reassured.

Pirate stomped off into the storage room with a frown. Black Beast might have to pay for that every wrinkle he caused over Pirate's forehead.

~

Ayaan picked up the trampled Moonflower as he returned from the balcony and put it inside the vase. He returned to the living room and saw Mehek seated at the dining table with her head down on the table. He ran over to her in that short distance with his eyes shaking visibly.

"Mehek, are you okay?"

"Hm."

That's all the response he got. He took a seat beside her and looked at her with the softest gaze coming directly from his heart. He wanted to pat her head or brush his hand over her hair but he stopped himself from doing so because even though he wasn't embarrassed after the hug he gave her the last time, he realized that she needed her space and he will give her that as per her comfort. Ayaan was growing affectionate towards Mehek and he wasn't denying it.

"Who was that weirdo?" Mehek mumbled from underneath.

"Uh..."

"I know you know him very well, tell me."

Ayaan smiled, "That was Crackhead or this is what we call him because of his loose screws."

"Crackhead? That's unusual," Mehek lifted her head, "Then, are you, what did he say? Oh yes, Black Beast?

Ayaan eyes went wide before he broke into an embarrassed laughter. He ruffled his hair, "Yeah, that's what they call me. We have nicknames, kind of, like gang names so that our real identities are not disclosed."

"Oh, right. Sometimes, I forget you are a thief but seriously, he was the strangest guy I ever met." Mehek's eyes were getting heavier. "And if he is part of your gang, isn't he a thief too? Then why was he pleading me to hand him over to the cops?"

Ayaan remained silent for a while and gave his hair another ruffle before he spoke in a low tone.

"Crackhead is, actually, a little mentally unstable. He was born in prison to a woman who is sentenced to life imprisonment. A child born in prison has to move out after a period of time but since he was a special case, an exception was made for him and Crackhead was allowed to stay there longer with his mother. Even when he was outside the prison, he grew under the wrong influence and just a few years ago, Pirate took him in-"

"Who's Pirate?"

"Uh...he is sort of our gang leader. So yeah, ever since Crackhead wishes to go back to the jail. To go back to his mother."

Ayaan let out a sigh, "But sometimes he even forgets the reason behind his dream to go to jail and throws a tantrum like a child. You see, Crackhead can unlock almost anything; of whatever kind it may be. So, it's simple, Pirate doesn't let him pursue his wish for he needs him. Pirate always keeps the best and won't lose them that easily.

"Poor guy," Mehek sympathized. "Now my own problems seem nothing compared to his."

Ayaan noticed Mehek's eyelids drooping further.

"Mehek, I think-" Ayaan started but was cut off by Mehek.

"Don't you think you have shared a lot more than you should have with me. You have even given away your identities, don't you think I can turn you in?"

Ayaan lowered his head on his crossed arms on the table to come in the line of sight with Mehek's and gave the sweetest smile, "The way those Moonflowers are being taken care of, I don't think so."

Mehek dropped her face back into her arms on the table to hide the blush.

"Mehek, I think you are getting tired, after all, it was one crazy evening. I think you should go to sleep; your body is much weaker since you haven't been eating that well."

Mehek immediately lifted her head in response that startled Ayaan, "And what about you? Are you leaving? Today is the tenth day after all!" Came out her anxious reply.

Ayaan pursed his lips thoughtfully and got up. Mehek waited with an abated breath. Somehow, she didn't want to let him go.