CHAPTER 19

Ayaan was back on the balcony on the third floor, drenched from head to toe. He shook the water droplets off his clothes and entered the bedroom. He just intended to have a quick check on Mehek and whether she had reached home safely before he could return to the base since it was almost midnight. He could almost see Pirate's face shrunk in fury at the back of his head.

Ayaan was about to swift past the bedroom and to the living room like he usually does, but he was surprised when he found Mehek sound asleep on the freshly spread sheets on the bed in her bedroom. She had curled herself under the blanket and all her facial muscles were relaxed. Ayaan kneeled down beside her bed as he looked at her calm face, longingly, for a while. There was no frown or any sign of pain on her features.

Ayaan thought to himself, "Just a few days ago, she said she couldn't sleep and look at her now." Ayaan drew his ears closer to her when he thought that he could almost hear her snore. "One trip to the grocery store did wonders. After all, she just needed to get tired to earn this peaceful sleep."

He wished to stay back earnestly but he knew he had to go.

"Just two more minutes..."

And after a whole fifteen minutes later, Ayaan shuffled a bit for his feet had gone numb and he decided to leave. He gave an adoring gaze before he leaned forward and-

Mehek opened her eyes.

Mehek's pupils might have dilated when she saw those shimmering black eyes just an inch away from her but she was just as calm as before. They both shared a moment of deep silence before Ayaan bent forward and gave her a kiss on the forehead. Mehek slowly closed her eyes and went back to sleep.

 Mehek slowly closed her eyes and went back to sleep

"Goodnight."

The rain had stopped. Ayaan descended the building and was on his way back to the base but somehow, he thought something was wrong. He turned around to glance over at Mehek's apartment on the third floor. Does he think it is what it is or is he just overthinking?

~

When Black Beast reached the base, first he got tackled over by Blue Volt, then Pirate sent his way some dangerous death glares and since Crackhead also wanted to join the action, he began to spit on him.

"Ew. Gross, Crackhead!! Will you STOP?"

For once, Crackhead actually listened and stopped, "Wait, I don't think I should be wasting any water from my body. I need to save up for the police station. Hey, Blue Volt, do you think phlegm has water in it?"

Blue Volt just plain ignored him and turned to Black Beast, "Where the hell have you been? Are you insane or what? Don't you know, today's burglary is extremely important. If we are successful tonight, then our gang will own the underworld."

Black Beast just shrugged. Blue Volt sighed, "Now that you are back, let's not waste time and move out."

Black Beast went back to his all-black attire and everyone gathered their things. Blue Volt helped Crackhead prepare and then dragged him out of the base. As Black Beast was about to head out, he turned to Pirate who was still glaring at him in silence, "Pirate, I need to tell you one thing. After this "Big Burglary", I want to be free. I will, no longer, be a participant of this gang."