CHAPTER 17

A couple walked on the streets covered with puddles, under the dusk sky. The girl, excited to be outside, skipped on the uneven road as she felt the cold breeze on her dry cheeks. She wore a knee-length floral skirt and a plain tee. As she hopped further away, the man behind who was walking leisurely dressed in casuals, called her out, "Mehek, slow down. You are like a little girl."

Ayaan had convinced Mehek to go the grocery store with these words, "Mehek? Do you really not want to go outside? I promise we will just go, shop and come back. I seriously think going out for a while will be good for you, you have been under these walls for a very long time. If not for you, at least do this for me. Didn't you say you want to get better, if not for yourself then for the person who is trying so hard?"

Ayaan couldn't help but carry that huge grin on his features as he followed Mehek at her pace. Then she tripped but didn't fall and Ayaan lost his smile, "Mehek!" He called out, worried, "That's it! You are holding my hand from here on further. You are too excited right now."

"Smooth"

"What?" Ayaan's face turned red in embarrassment as he held hands with Mehek.

"You know, you are just like my-" Mehek restrained herself from speaking further because it only bought painful memories.

"What is it?"

"Never mind."

The groceries store was not a huge one with just a few aisles in between. Ayaan pushed the cart and Mehek explored the store. While she was checking out the pickles, Ayaan was losing his mind because his thieving instincts had started kicking in. His hands were itching to grab any nearby object and stuff it inside his jacket. Ayaan was trying extremely hard to fight his natural instincts because he was with Mehek; that's how he wanted to convince himself but the real reason were the CCTV cameras.

Mehek was suddenly quite while Ayaan was picking some spices, a little ahead. Her excitement had died down and she started regretting to have come out of her home as she looked around the store. All she could see were happy families, playfully bickering couples and busy individuals. The burdensome cloud of depression shadowed over her again with her face turning somber. A kid came running and stood beside her, drooling while looking at the chocolate section. He stood there for a while, deliberating when his mother called him from the end of the aisle to indicate that they were going home. The boy ran back again and held his mother's hands. Mehek just observed with a sad smile as she thought to herself that it's such a nice feeling for someone calling for you when you are left behind.

"Mehek! Come on, we have to get so much more. You are the one who wanted to hurry."

Mehek turned around and smiled from ear to ear as she stared at Ayaan affectionately. She shook off her depressing thoughts and followed him to the next aisle like a little kid.

"Okay, let's see. What kind of bread do you want?" Ayaan asked as he checked the expiry dates.

"White."

"How about brown?"

"White is more delicious."

"But brown is healthier and that's what we will be buying," Ayaan dropped a packet of brown bread into the cart.

"Then why did you ask for my opinion?" Mehek enraged.

"Sorry for assuming your taste," Ayaan mocked.

"All right, then why don't you also buy oats and green tea while you are at it?" Mehek called out sarcastically as Ayaan walked ahead.

"They are already in the cart," Ayaan responded as he walked off pompously. Mehek grumped and ran to catch up to him. What she didn't realize was that there was probably someone else in that store, envying their relationship.