Chapter 18

Her old mentor walked away from the circle to tell her the news. "We think you are ready."

  Griz's eyes went wide and mouthed 'wow'. 

  "We are going through the plans, come on."

  "Okay." She still couldn't get the affect that the creatures did, but she was slowly getting there.

  They walked over to the circle of twelve creatures, making it fourteen. Griz listened to start off with, but grew uninterested quickly when she realised that they were talking about the weather, locations, and other boring things like what to wear. 

      Griz pretended to listen, but her mind was elsewhere. She thought of Scout, is he still alive? Is he okay? What does he think of me? I left him, when he needed me... Griz felt uneasy, a hole inside of her eating away at her from the inside out, like some sort of maggot. She was supposed to get out of the city as soon as she could, but she had stayed in the city for far too long. Now he had probably been punished. It was the type of thing that John Roberts would do. She sat down on a stone that was near her, and did more thinking whilst pretending to listen.

 They talked to nightfall, and stopped when they had made a decision, and they were all happy with it. The youngest member went through the plans with her, having probably noticed that she had tuned out near the start. If anyone asked, it was just making sure she had gotten it all. 

 Griz nodded, it had taken a while for the plan to be explained. Now she needed to sleep, sometime in the hour. Finally, everything was explained to her for the 'third' time. She found a comfortable place under the tree.

Red eyed humans approached her, except, it wasn't Griz. Griz stumbled back, one word popping into her head, zombies. She turned to find that she was being surrounded by the living dead. She didn't have her abilities, and there was nothing for her to use as a weapon. 

 The horde of zombies stopped in a circle. She heard a couple of trucks coming her way. The crowd of zombies shifted to let another in, the zombies seemed to have respect for this zombie. One word popped into her head, a Lord zombie. Two zombies walked behind, not as powerful, but still powerful, warriors popped into her head. Four more followed behind them, another word popped into her head, fighters

 This was not good. 

  The lord walked up to her, Griz took a step back, the truck was coming, but not quick enough, she could see the headlights, it couldn't get here soon enough. The lord walked proudly, but she could tell that he wasn't the biggest leader, his eyes kept glancing around, weighing up the other zombies, despite his guards. 

  Griz couldn't step back any more without standing in arm's reach of the zombies' arms behind her, they smelt rancid, they probably hadn't washed in ages, it could be months for all Griz knew. It started a year ago. Griz felt confused, there was no way she could have known that, it was as if someone else who did know these things were telling her. 

  She had stolen someone else's body. Great.

The zombie lord lunged forwards, and bit her in the shoulder, Griz screamed, pushing the zombie away. The truck turned around the corner of the barn to Griz's right, and ploughed into the zombies, stopping in front of Griz, and the person's body she had taken over. 

This is not normal. She was a wolf, but Griz also knew that she could turn into a human. I want to be me. Is that too much to ask for? She stood on a hill, the body she had taken over was young, about ten years old in human form. 

 She stood atop a hill, and turned to see a building on fire, luminous in the dark world, howls of pain could be heard, and it took everything for Griz, and the body she had taken over, not to turn around to help. She knew that the place on fire was a bad place, but the wolves, they were family, and her pack. But they had helped her escape, this was not how to repay them. Griz turned away from the building and started her journey to find another pack. She looked over her shoulder, just to check, to see if any more wolves were coming. 

  None.

Griz headed off, glad that she hadn't come minutes beforehand, when she had to escape. Everything was going down today, or tomorrow. An attack on a group of teens tomorrow, seeing other's lives from their eyes, watching from someone's eyes as they got bitten by a zombie, and being a person in a wolf form after they escape from a burning building. Fun