Chapter 9

*two months later*

Friday March 29th. I have been officially living in the apartment building for a month and two weeks. The AC has only crashed once and the hot water is finally working.

On the idea team I've moved up a position to Action Idea Manager. Which basically means I put multiple ideas into action to see which one is the best decision.

I got the promotion after I opened my mouth and actually had a good idea. It wasn't big, but it raised the company's status 3%. They said something about beginners luck and wanting to take it to the next step.

At the moment I'm getting paid $25.50 an hour and that will go up if this idea I'm working on goes well.
I plan to save up and buy a decently large house. A house to be filled. Either by friends who are struggling (thanks Cole for offering that idea) or with a family.

I'm at my table with my laptop open. It's 2:15 in the morning. I'm finishing my first copy of three. Since tomorrow is Saturday, I plan to wake up around ten to finish copy two. Then after dinner I will work on three.

This is my usual weekend schedule/ everyday schedule. I have weekends off so I can rest and be ready for late nights during the week.

Monday's start with a manager meeting (Michael and the lead managers talk most of the time). Then the idea team meets in the conference room, along with the rest of the week, to discuss, obviously, ideas.

Tuesday through Thursday there are meetings to lay down choices and assign responsibilities for the Action Manager (me). Fridays are to work on what we came up with during the week.

Wednesday's and Thursday's I work from 10 to 10 and pick up any early or late hours that I can just in those days.

The rest of the week I work 7 to 3:30. Sometimes that ends up going to 5 and then dinner with colleagues.

Michael is more of a friend the a boss these days. He says I'm like a little brother. After mentioning that to a member on the idea team they told me he did have an actual little brother. He passed away from a tumor on the right side of his brain at the age of 2.

After hearing that, I try a little harder to be a good "brother" to Michael. We get breakfast every Sunday together after he goes to mass and talk about anything but work. 

I told him about the quote I saw on the back of Lauren's car and he ended up buying me a book with saint quotes. Then he invited me to mass.

I said no the first three times then I decided I should because that's what a good brother would do. I went and I learned that Catholics have this thing DOWN! They knew every word. They knew when everything was coming.

Don't know when to sit? I don't know, ask a Catholic.

Then "communion" came around and I swear I was about to have a panic attack. Everyone is in lines going up to the front. They receive a white circle of unleavened bread then make the sign of the cross.

Here, Michael leaned over and told me to cross my arms over my chest and to not receive the "host". I did as he said and followed the person in front of me to the pew.

When we knelt again Michael bows his head and copying him I now mine as well. "You don't have to, but here we usually say a silent prayer thanking God for the things in this world. We thank Him for being with us." Michael whispers. I close my eyes and, even though I don't believe in a higher power, I give is a shot.

Thank you... God... for Michael... for Cole and Lauren, for my job and colleagues. And thank you for being with me.....

.... amen.